Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fine??!

Options
  • 17-06-2006 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

i got a fine in teh post this week for not displaying my tax--60e. im just going to explain my situation.

right..i got a northern reg car and registered it the end of march. got ll the forms bla bla. at the same time my bfs mother had just registered a car she had gotten. she informed me that ill get the log book sent in the post. months went by,thought nothing of it cos theyre always slow at sending stuff. then my bfs mother found out there last week that all the forms ya get when registering it is sufficent to tax it.
    anyhow i received the fine on the 23rd of april.. around a month after registering and still thinking i was waiting for something in the post. i was not informed after registering it that i could go and tax my car with the forms i had been given!

i dont know if i should explain all this and see what is said or simply pay it?
    no smarties plz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No harm in trying an explanation but I suspect the Gardai won't much care.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

It's less hassle to pay the fine. And this way you probably won't have to pay the backtax anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

how would i not have to pay th back tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The Gardai/warden are not going to cancel it. Your two options are; pay the fine or wait for the summons and go infront of the judge and explain.

When you eventually paid the tax did you pay the arrears for the months you missed? Have you actually paid tax for the date of the fine?

If no to either then just pay the fine.

If yes then paying it is probably a good idea too, going to court over things like this can be a lottery and a waste of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For the sake of 60euro id just pay it. Think of the hassle of a summons.. a Day off work, paperwork etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

in the eyes of the law ignorence is not a excuse . sorry to be blunt but its the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

elexes wrote:
    in the eyes of the law ignorence is not a excuse . sorry to be blunt but its the way

Yep that's the way it's viewed, you'll be going to court bud. If it was me (and one day it could be) I'd pay the measly fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

im heading to the tax office tomorrow to ask them about it. the old way was that your log book came n the post after registering it.. and i wasnt told any differrent... meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes but its up to YOU to find out !

Nobody is employed to hold your hand and answer all your questions. Sorry to be blunt but its nobodys fault but your own !

Pay the fine and tax the car ..................end of story !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

years ago a similar thing happened me a few years ago.
    I never got the tax renewal letter, so I didn't even realise it was expired. I was stopped by a garda and she was a thundering b1tch.
    I explained that I hadn't got the letter, so just forgot (it was out less than a month iirc), but she said "The onus is on me to keep it taxed" and fined me. The louser. she must've been on the rags that week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

You dont need any log book to tax a newly registered/imported car.When you pay the vrt you can tax it with the rf100 (it also states this on the form) so i cant see your case holding up with the cops or a judge.

Pay the fine is your only option really

Advertisement