Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop recommendation

Options
  • 17-06-2006 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I recently started using broadband and want to get a wireless router in order to use a laptop. I would also want to use the laptop for mobile internet access, storing some photos and word processing etc. Can anyone recommend such a laptop and what features should it have to connect wirelessly and via mobile to the internet?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

most new laptops come with some sort of wi-fi these days. I spec-ed my mother a Dell 640M recently. Nice neat little thing for around €800. 1.8GHz, 512 RAM, 80gig HD and DVD burner. I got the bigger 9 cell battery, it sticks out the back a bit but its not as annoying as a flat battery.

If your going storing photos a largish hard drive and a DVD burner and good options, you'll be surprised how much space those holiday snaps can take up especially if your saving then as uncompressed TIFFs!

If you want to be trendy thers's always Apple's line up, you can get microsoft office for macs too and now you can even have a windows partition on the new intel powered mac notebooks with their bootcamp utility

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Macs Are Whack!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

IBM look up the R50e spec about 990 + vat.. fab machine or get the T43 with in built bluetooth for around 1550 plus vat (three year warranty) pretty light 4 hour battery.. cant go wrong.. bit on the dear side though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

JohnnieM wrote:
    IBM look up the R50e spec about 990 + vat.. fab machine or get the T43 with in built bluetooth for around 1550 plus vat (three year warranty) pretty light 4 hour battery.. cant go wrong.. bit on the dear side though

Are they as good since the Chinamen took over?

Personally I would go with a Dell Latitude, but I will probably be shot down for suggesting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

People have really got to stop recommending monsterously priced laptops for people who are looking for a lappy for wireless access, word processing and general storage.

For those functions, A DELL 1300 will be perfectly fine, and would come to about 600 euro inc vat and del. This laptop is perfect for word processing, storing photos, browsing the internet, watching dvds, and even playing older games etc. A dell 6400 would also be a bit better in the long term if you plan doing editing or similar at any stage, but there's absolutely no point in spending big amounts of features you'll never use.

I honestly reckon 95% of laptops purchased are used for tasks which the slowest and cheapest Celeron would do. My mother got a laptop through work, Core Duo, 1gb Ram, X1400 gfx card - and what does she do? Use it once a week for MS excel and word for about 30 minutes. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

HavoK wrote:
    People have really got to stop recommending monsterously priced laptops for people who are looking for a lappy for wireless access, word processing and general storage.

I used to recommend cheap Dell everything but got bored of arguing with people who feel you must spend a minimum of 2k on a laptop, and build your own desktop PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HavoK wrote:

For those functions, A DELL 1300 will be perfectly fine, and would come to about 600 euro inc vat and del. This laptop is perfect for word processing, storing photos, browsing the internet, watching dvds, and even playing older games etc.

Well said. There are too many people here talking rubbish. For the vast majority of users, the good old 1300 is the way to go.
    HavoK wrote:
    My mother got a laptop through work, Core Duo, 1gb Ram, X1400 gfx card - and what does she do? Use it once a week for MS excel and word for about 30 minutes. Typical.

*me sheds a tear*

Does she want to swap for a Dell 1300? :D

Advertisement