Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I allowed to drive someones car if they let me ?

Options
  • 17-06-2006 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Basically I want to know can I drive my sisters car if she gives me permission and be insured ? Ive a third party policy on my own car and she has fully comp on hers but im not really sure if id be insured if anything happened while driving hers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Check with your insurance company if you have open drive on your policy. This might only be on comprehensive though. Best bet would be to check with the companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Check your insurance policy, it will say it there.
    I'm with Quinn direct and can drive other cars with the owners permission (but only 3rd party is covered)

Edit: Squirrel beat me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If your own policy is only 3rd party or 3rd party fire & theft, then its highly unlikley it covers you driving other cars. That usually only comes with comprehensive policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

yes, it depends on your policy. i'm with hibernian 3rd party fire and theft and i have "driving other cars" in standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm with QuinnDirect, and according them, I can drive any other car once I have permission and it's insured. All I need to qualify for this is a Full Licence and 3rd Party F&T. I will only be covered on other cars for 3rd party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As others said, check both your policy and hers.

I'm fully comp with Quinn Direct and i can drive other cars but i'm fairly sure the 3rd party policy doesn't allow that. Your sisters policy may cover her having other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

There shouldn't be a need to check hers, if yours has the driving of other cars extension, which is standard on most policies now (even TP/ TPFT policies)

Its not open driving you're looking for - that's what allows others to drive your car. If you check on your certificate, it should say that you are allowed to drive:

a) Your own reg
    b) any other car provided you don't own it.

If it doesnt allow you to drive any other car, then maybe you can be added to hers for free, or maybe a small fee.

Oh, and the cover you'll have will be 3rd party only when driving her car, so only TP damage will be covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

6ix wrote:
    There shouldn't be a need to check hers

Not necessarily true. If his sister has an open drive policy then under her insurance he may be able to drive her car. Usually they have conditions to this though - anyone with a full license over the age of 25, etc.

Very unlikely that she has this policy though unless other people need to drive her car regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

just check with the insurance company. I have fully comp on my car but I am NOT allowed drive any other car under my policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

AXA have other cars under TPFT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I'm with QuinnDirect, and according them, I can drive any other car once I have permission and it's insured. All I need to qualify for this is a Full Licence and 3rd Party F&T. I will only be covered on other cars for 3rd party.

Thats me, QD and 3rd Party F&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had TPF&T with quinn last year and it did not cover me for driving anything besides my own car. I have full comp this year and it does. meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

QD are competitive rate wise, but they sometimes dont include even the simplest of 'frills' like driving of other cars, which is included by most companies, Hibernian, AXA, Royal Sun, Allianz etc. And QD's excesses can be high for younger drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stephen wrote:
    I had TPF&T with quinn last year and it did not cover me for driving anything besides my own car. I have full comp this year and it does. meh.

Weird, im renewing with TPFT this year with Quinn and im still insured to drive others. I asked them on the phone, and she said im insured to drive others cars regardless of whether my policy is Comp/TPFT as long as ive a full license

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

JohnCleary wrote:
    im insured to drive others cars regardless of whether my policy is Comp/TPFT as long as ive a full license

That's the business, isn't it.

Advertisement