Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercity modal share

Options
  • 17-06-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Does anyone know the intercity modal share figures in Ireland?

eg Cork-Dublin
    Total traffic x million journeys
    Car A%
    Bus B%
    Train C%
    Plane D%

I'm just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

There was a lot of research done on just about everything for the (now dust covered) National Spatial Strategy. The main page for this material is here:

http://www.irishspatialstrategy.ie/Research%20Reports.shtml

The report below in particular seems to have some of the kind of stuff you are looking for:

http://www.irishspatialstrategy.ie/docs/report17.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

cheers Schuhart
    That data is quite out of date (mid 90s) but it shows about 1,030,000 Dublin-Cork journeys per year by Car and Bus and about 540K by train.

with ryanair and aer arann on the route, air capacity must be over 600K. (42 X 737-800s and 60 X ATR 72/42s per week) A possible 500K journeys by air if the load factors match their other routes. So maybe air is challenging rail on this route.

Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

I'm looking at 4+ million rail journeys on the Dublin and Cork line each year (that does not include Limerick, Tralee, Galway passengers etc who travel over a section of the line), depending on which consultants you believe its a market share of 50%

There is seating for 450-500 on each train, 7/8 times day, best Ryanair manage is 3 flights a day with 189 seats on each, Aer Arainn have even smaller planes at a slightly higher frequency. on paper Ryanair can't move more than 410k per year on the route assuming a 100% load factor

The NSS report gave estimates for point-to-point travel. eg Dublin-Thurles or Cork-Mallow would not be included. There is a huge difference between 500K and 4M and I doubt rail travel on that line has increased 8-fold in the last decade so one of these figures must be way off.

Aer Arann have capacity for 213K passengers per year. Ryanair had a recent load factor of 83%. Aer Arann more like 75%

MarkoP11 wrote:
    There is seating for 450-500 on each train, 7/8 times day
    475 (average pax) * 7.5 (avg freq)* 365 (days)* 2 (directions) gives about 2.6M possible seated capacity on the rail line. I guess there could be any number standing!

• Advertisement

??????? wrote:
    475 (average pax) * 7.5 (avg freq)* 365 (days)* 2 (directions) gives about 2.6M possible seated capacity on the rail line. I guess there could be any number standing!

There are 10 trains Fri/Sat, plus two more to Tralee with direct connections to Cork, add in specials for concerts/gaa/rugby and allow for a turnover of say 20% in passengers enroute

We do know the total number of passengers per line per year the brakedown of per station per route we don't have, still that begs the question if someone bought a Dublin to Cobh return they would not be accounted for as Dublin Cork

MarkoP11 wrote:
    We do know the total number of passengers per line per year the brakedown of per station per route we don't have, still that begs the question if someone bought a Dublin to Cobh return they would not be accounted for as Dublin Cork
    Either way it shouldn't affect the numbers much. However commuters from say Kildare/Newbridge should clearly not be included as Cork-Dublin traffic.

??????? wrote:
    Either way it shouldn't affect the numbers much. However commuters from say Kildare/Newbridge should clearly not be included as Cork-Dublin traffic.
    They aren't, but Kildare Cork are

Origin-destination studies for car traffic are done by licence plate recognition at either end. So if you start your journey in Belfast, go through Dublin and terminate in Schull via Cork, you are still counted. Kildare-Cork is not.

If I live in Kildare I could drive to Dublin Airport and fly, then you would be counted as Dublin Cork air passengers

The real question should be Greater Dublin Region to Cork City Area, you won't get many from Grand Parade to O'Connell Street.

The annual numbers are now 38 million, with 11-12 million on intercity I can remember the time the entire network only carried 11 million per annum its only as recent as 1983. They know exactly how many Dublin Cork tickets were issued last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If seat reservation takes off IE will have no problem identifying at least one end of the journey accurately, at least for the vast majority of journeys, because of the provision of billing info for CC etc.

Advertisement