Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Really Cheaper??

Options
  • 16-06-2006 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

just a quick question is it really cheaper to buy a savage x buggy in england than ireland even after postage and currency exchange???
    thanks lads:) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

http://www.boyztoys.ie/index.php?subj=itemdetails&id=5651&ctry=ie SavageX is EUR 628!
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=24377
    £379.99 from Modelsports
    There are more places out there, if you searched the www I'm sure you could find better prices.
    The choice is yours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Halfords have the savage for around €599 I think ;)

Is that the savage 25? vectra?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yup.
    Almost certain it was a 25 that I saw in Limerick.
    Give them a buzz. ;)
    It was a Red one anyway :D

Grand yeah the 25 is usually red great engine too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

vixen2005 wrote:
    just a quick question is it really cheaper to buy a savage x buggy in england than ireland even after postage and currency exchange???
    Tower hobbies will cost you E580.00 including delivery and it's RTR(except fuel):) Save E50 than buying from boyztoys but wait for a few weeks before it arrives.

Alternatively you could go for one of these :D
    http://www.boyztoys.ie/index.php?subj=itemdetails&id=5575&ctry=ie *only* E469 and goes like a rocket
    video of mine here : http://www.stevetrek.com/movies/TheJoyride2.wmv
    enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

vixen2005 wrote:
    I don't know about the UK but the US is cheaper you might have to wait a bit longer depending on what your getting but the US is the cheapest (I think so anyway)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They are made in China.

Generally speaking - the farther away you go from Ireland, the nearer to China you get, the cheaper they become. Inside Ireland model suppliers vary a lot, and there are better ones and worse ones to deal with.

But as you order from further away your communications are getting worse, your freight is increasing, your risks of failure are going up, and your backup service is going down, the prospect of customs charging VAT and other charges on your importation rises, little things cause more hassle to fix.

Most beginners break stuff, need advice, need to be shown how to do something, and of course, need model fuel. All these particular things are best got very near to where you live, not from the far side of planet Earth.

So yes it is usually "cheaper" the day you click on "buy", if you buy abroad, but does it work out cheaper in the long run?
    Probably not - if you are a beginner.
    Probably yes - if you place a low value on nearby backup advice/help, on account of being experienced in models, engines, tuning, and so on.

Your choice to make of course - based on your personal levels of:
    spare time to waste, cash flow, credit card limit, experience, gullibility, desire for last cent discount, quality of local hobby shop, lack of local hobby shop, distance from friend who can stand-in for the lack of backup from an-over-distant supplier, and so on.....

coolwings wrote:
    They are made in China.
    Generally speaking - the farther away you go, the nearer to China you get, the cheaper they become.
    But your communications are getting worse, your freight is increasing, your risks of failure are going up, and your backup service is going down.
    Even the LHS have to pay frieght and they get some of there stuff from america like Traxxas, HPI, team losi, cen etc.
    coolwings wrote:
    most beginners break stuff, need advice, need to be shown ho to do something, and of course, need model fuel. All these particular things are best got very near to where you live, not from the far side of planet Earth.
    Beginners do smash up things including experienced modelers. I just think its better when you buy from America and get spare parts and fuel over here at your LHS.
    coolwings wrote:
    So yes it is usually "cheaper" the day you click on "buy", but does it work out cheaper in the long run? Probably not - if you are a beginner. Maybe it is if you don't need any backup advice/help due to being experienced.
    Fair enough it is a hell of alot cheaper buying on the web but no matter how much your experienced you will always need the LHS for fuel, parts, advice etc.
    coolwings wrote:
    Your choice - based on time to waste, cash flow, credit card limit, experience, gullibility, quality of local hobby shop, lack of local hobby shop, distance from friend who can stand-in for the lack of backup from an-over-distant supplier, and so on.....
    Yeah I am a bit far from Waterford(45 minutes) but I will always go down there for parts, so he isin't losing out on anything. Even though I didn,t get my T-maxx from him I probly spent the same amount on parts, fuel etc over the years. And I,m sure its the same for some people who go to you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Why buying stuff that far ?
    You are thinking US or China, but you can find really cheap things in Europe.
    France, Germany and so on have very good prices aswell.
    And you don't have to pay for VAT, and European rules apply here in case of problems.

I have to admit that Ireland is the most expensive country to buy anything ! But in the mean time, nothing can replace my LHS for the day to day things you have to buy. So, when I can, I do the effort to buy in my LHS, I do it, but for mains things, I'm sorry (and honest) to admit that I buy in France, Germany, CZ and elsewhere in Europe.

Fred

Why buying stuff that far ?
    You are thinking US or China, but you can find really cheap things in Europe.
    France, Germany and so on have very good prices aswell.
    And you don't have to pay for VAT, and European rules apply here in case of problems.

I have to admit that Ireland is the most expensive country to buy anything ! But in the mean time, nothing can replace my LHS for the day to day things you have to buy. So, when I can, I do the effort to buy in my LHS, I do it, but for mains things, I'm sorry (and honest) to admit that I buy in France, Germany, CZ and elsewhere in Europe.

Fred
    I'm exactly with ya there except I buy my main things in America:cool:

Advertisement