Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any one heading in to anything 2nite?

Options
  • 16-06-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

as the subject says...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

10 days since I touched a deck of cards.

4 poker books read.

14 episodes of high stakes poker watched. I

think I'll hit the Fitz scalps game donk away my chips and be home in time for the second half of the Angola game....:D Now if the argentina game had been on tonight I'd have saved €110 - oh well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

ollyk1 wrote:
    I think I'll hit the Fitz scalps game

Same as.

Same as.

I'll have your books Lenny so.:)

The PLO one was a very interesting read and I've read it slowly and cover to cover. Really makes you think about the game. I'm afraid I have an awful lot to learn. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ollyk1 wrote:
    I'll have your books Lenny so.:)

The PLO one was a very interesting read and I've read it slowly and cover to cover. Really makes you think about the game. I'm afraid I have an awful lot to learn. :(

You're reading books? I thought player X was your current poker resource, you even push your stack in like him too! ;)

ntlbell wrote:
    You're reading books? I thought player X was your current poker resource, you even push your stack in like him too! ;)

Eh it turns out that his method isn't always successful. Who knew? :rolleyes: I mainly look at the pictures in the books or as I said above read really slowly!!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Planning a night in. Went into the Fitz for the first time in 3 weeks and played my first live cash game in about 2 months. Turned 150 into 1k and left. I think I'll take another week off if thats the way its going to be!
    Tonight I have a few supplies in and I'm not expecting anyone and I'm just going to veg in front of the goggle-box!

God damn it now I'm thinking about maybe hitting the SE. lol...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

DeVore wrote:

God damn it now I'm thinking about maybe hitting the SE. lol...

DeV.

Just before you do you might want to check that the game you think is on. I think the schedule there has changes recently.
    Does anyone know if the S.E on friday still €100+10 freezeout?

EDIT
    Just rang the S.E
    Friday Tournament
    €15+5 rebuy. 3 rebuys.

Think I'll pop into the fitz, haven't played the scalps game in long time.

Chief Brody turned up to this. He got moved to my left at the midway point and needed a tray to carry his chips. He got moved away after 1 hand but busted out soon after.
    I fell a few places short of the FT.
    Live poker in Dublin. I dunno:rolleyes:

A nightmare for me. Been playing the scalps regularly since it started three years ago, and that's the first time I was ever knocked out before the break. Ever! Lost my buy-in with AK against AT early on and decided I was going to double up before the break or go home. Raised it up with AT and stuck it all-in on the flop, only to get called by a flopped two-pair. This guy saw fit to call off 20% of his stack preflop with the monster 56o, cos he thought low cards were great in raised pots. Interesting strategy.

• Advertisement

UL Derek. Was he a tall ectomorph mid 20's with black hair by any chance?. He moved over to our table later and called all in raises with such hands. If so he doubled me up twice calling all in bets with suited rubbish. He folded once to another players all in bet in mp saying after the hand he was going to call with K2 but he was worried about kicker trouble.
    I was dissapointed in the game tbh. Turned very crap shootey very early.

UL Derek. Was he a tall ectomorph mid 20's with black hair by any chance?. He moved over to our table later and called all in raises with such hands. If so he doubled me up twice calling all in bets with suited rubbish. He folded once to another players all in bet in mp saying after the hand he was going to call with K2 but he was worried about kicker trouble.
    I was dissapointed in the game tbh. Turned very crap shootey very early.

No, he was the opposite to ectomorph. His call wasn't as bad as I'm making out, tbh, he was on BB and getting 2/1 or so on his money. It was just the comment a few hands earlier (low cards, raised pots) that annoyed me.

It's a funny game, sometimes it does get *very* crap-shootey. I'm seriously considering changing to Thursday for my regular game, and giving this a miss for a while.

Edit: Shootey isn't a word, ffs! :)

Shooty then!
    Not that im a regular of this game but i wont be back to it for a while after last nite. Also there was very poor supervision over the game too. No proper TD or anything.

Shooty then!
    Not that im a regular of this game but i wont be back to it for a while after last nite. Also there was very poor supervision over the game too. No proper TD or anything.

Hmm, I assume that's said tongue in cheek? Richie normally does TD for this and he does it very well, imo. I wasn't there long enough last night to notice anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

There was no TD there from the time we got down to 3 tables. Not that there was really one needed, but its handy to have someone there who can spot things like coloring up some of the hundreds of yellow 100 chips etc.

It got extremely "crap shootey" alright! Av stack at the final table was 8xBB!!

Lex wrote:
    There was no TD there from the time we got down to 3 tables. Not that there was really one needed, but its handy to have someone there who can spot things like coloring up some of the hundreds of yellow 100 chips etc.

That's a first so, I've been at the scalps for a long time and it's run very well. Probably a shortage of dealers or something.

Hmm, I assume that's said tongue in cheek? Richie normally does TD for this and he does it very well, imo. I wasn't there long enough last night to notice anything.

I agree Richie is very good but apart from the odd cameo appearance from him a couple of times like Lex said there was nobody with any authority around and there was a couple of issues on my table that couldnt be resolved quickly because of this.
    Anyway im really only bitter because i didnt ft!.

Richie aka TrickyD went home early hence this issue arising. On Richie's watch there wouldn't have been an issue.

A foreign dealer (on his second or third night working in the Fitz) was put in charge as TD but then told to go deal a cash game. He's a good dealer but may not be familiar with all the local "rules".

Too many directors in the Fitz ordering staff around last night and it caused a few problems. Us tournament players are bottom of the pile.

As for the crapshootedness of the night the players should have asked for the blinds to be frozen. Anytime I'm in the game with two tables left the blinds are frozen for a period at some stage. If you didn't ask then you know what to do the next time.

Their were a lot of poor players last night imho unfortunately I couldn't win a crucial 70/30 to really put the squeeze on them. Good long term value though.

P.S. Hard luck rounders on not making it ITM. You needed to catch a break at that crucial two table stage but it never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i was knocked out after the break, pushing with 55 called by QJ for 90% of his chips. Beautiful. Think its the guy rounders is talking about.

One more game for me then i am finished with poker here for about 4 months. Prob play the monday fitz game.

Muck like Lenny I had a bit of a nightmare, playing KK like a moron in the 3rd hand and loosing my first buy-in.

Bluffing my way up to a half decent playable stack I had another moment of madness trying to put manners on ollyk not concentrating on another player in the hand and my AQs was no good against 77.

Just seen ollyk at my table puts me on TILT :D

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    Muck like Lenny I had a bit of a nightmare, playing KK like a moron in the 3rd hand and loosing my first buy-in.

Bluffing my way up to a half decent playable stack I had another moment of madness trying to put manners on ollyk not concentrating on another player in the hand and my AQs was no good against 77.

Just seen ollyk at my table puts me on TILT :D

:D:D I seem to have this effect on people. Dunno why I was like a church mouse last night. Hardly any speech play or anything...

I had AQ sooted in that hand too and would have won that hand with a flush if I'd called!

I gave you some respect ntl (and with no reads on that "playa" who looked like he was calling so I assumed JJ+ with no history with him) and thought discrecton was the better part of valour and folded my raise. It would have been a real bad beat if I'd called and the young guy folded.:p

ollyk1 wrote:
    :D:D I seem to have this effect on people. Dunno why I was like a church mouse last night. Hardly any speech play or anything...

I had AQ sooted in that hand too and would have won that hand with a flush if I'd called!

I gave you some respect ntl (and with no reads on that "playa" who looked like he was calling so I assumed JJ+ with no history with him) and thought discrecton was the better part of valour and folded my raise. It would have been a real bad beat if I'd called and the young guy folded.:p

A church mouse with a chronic raising habbit!

When I give the "You can have my blind once" speech I always follow through with any two cards the next time, I was just lucky that I got some sort of a hand, I really didn't think that guy was going to call, usually when he was in the tank that long before he folded, I think the fact I was constantly calling his raises and pushing any flop was a factor in his call.

ollyk1 wrote:
    Hard luck rounders on not making it ITM. You needed to catch a break at that crucial two table stage but it never came.

Thanks. Despite stealing the grey haired guys bb from the button on several occasions when i tried it once more with A6 he took an eternity to call out of his monster stack with AQ!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thanks for the kind words.

Yup, went home early at 10:30ish. Wasn't feeling the best hence less slagging and joking than usual. I'll stick around a lot longer in future. The Scalps is quite a handful to run, as Mick Locke will testify. Nevertheless, comments are noted and we'll try harder in future. We'll also be properly training up more TD's.

Sasha has just come over from the Aviation Club and has previously worked with Luke in that other place. He is highly regarded and skilled. He will be teaching us a shedload of variants and we'll be testing the market for these. So if you fancy games like 7 card stud, various hi-lo's, etc, let us know and we'll try to start some tournies. We're also trying to introduce more games and more start times like another low stake freezeout like Oscar's on Sat afternoon.

You heard it here first (perhaps).

\r

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I bluffed off 70% of my chips and then got the rest in as a dog. gg:D

Gholi was doing well after the break. any joy?

Chief Brody - lmfao - just spotted the guy last night

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

He folded once to another players all in bet in mp saying after the hand he was going to call with K2 but he was worried about kicker trouble.

I know he feels. I keep running into A2 in raised pots and loosing my stack when a 2 flops.
    Tricky D wrote:
    So if you fancy games like 7 card stud, various hi-lo's, etc, let us know and we'll try to start some tournies. We're also trying to introduce more games and more start times like another low stake freezeout like Oscar's on Sat afternoon.

That all sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

tricky D wrote:
    We're also trying to introduce more games and more start times like another low stake freezeout like Oscar's on Sat afternoon.
    \r

Sounds good. To me the thing that makes Oscar's tourney so good is the 6handed format, the stacks/blind timeframes are relatively the same as the €100 fitz freezout but at the final in oscars tourny you have an average of 20bbs if not more which has rarely been the case in any of the times ive played the €100 game. A regular €50 6handed game would be great, the €30 buyin whilst pocket friendly can leave you frustrated if you come 4th/3rd etc and get €100 after 5hrs play.

ntlbell wrote:
    A church mouse with a chronic raising habbit!

When I give the "You can have my blind once" speech I always follow through with any two cards the next time, I was just lucky that I got some sort of a hand, I really didn't think that guy was going to call, usually when he was in the tank that long before he folded, I think the fact I was constantly calling his raises and pushing any flop was a factor in his call.

That was me with the 77 ntl. I went into the tank for a while alright and after your comment to olly before that I reckoned you wern't too strong. After a while I figured if you had a decent pair you would have flat called and check - raised me like you did to me when I made a continuation bet on a Q high board. I folded JJ face up to you that time.

At the 3 tables left stage I think it was Olly I sucked out on when I pushed in mid-pos with 8xBB and A7. He had 99 and I think I runner-runnered a straight to cripple him.

I went on fire after that for a little while and ended up in great shape calling a guys limp raise all-in with KK. He had AQ and no help.

At the final table we were 9 handed for ages when the short stack almost always seemed to double up.

Eventually I got to 3 handed in bad shape but the 2 chip ldrs got involved in 2 big hands in a row and I was heads up!!

I had 50k he had 240k with blinds 5/10k. I pushed 4 hands in a row and he folded. He called the 5th time with K7. I had QJ and spiked a J to double up.

Played a few more hands and there was talk of a split which I accpeted. And that was all she wrote. Only my second time in the fitz since I moved up to Dub so I'll defo be on for freezing the blinds in future.

WP Lex congrats. Yeah it was me you techincally went runner runner on but you had a number of outs on the river to be fair.

• Advertisement

ollyk1 wrote:
    WP Lex congrats. Yeah it was me you techincally went runner runner on but you had a number of outs on the river to be fair.

Cheers. I must introduce myself next time.

Advertisement