Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo V70 hunting when aircon on

Options
  • 16-06-2006 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

My Volvo V70 idle engine speed hunts whenever the aircon is on. By hunts I mean the engine speed fluctuates up and down a few hundred rpm. It seems to go up and down as the aircon compressor cuts in and out. When the aircon is off the engine idles perfectly.

Any suggestions on this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hows your alternator? Is the battery light showing at all?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭johndoe77ie

Could be a problem with the ETM. Have a look here.
    www.vexedvolvo.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

May have found the problem

http://www.startribune.com/131/story/34776.html
    Q. I am having an idle issue with my 2000 Durango. It sometimes surges and fluctuates about 200 to 500 rpm at idle. At other times, the idle is stable but seems a bit high at 1,000 rpm. When driving, the engine rpm seems to fluctuate and surge a bit and confuses the transmission. I know that the transmission is good; it shifts smoothly and feels tight. Is this a tune-up issue? A. These are classic symptoms of a vacuum leak in the induction system. Whether the leak is from the throttle body or intake manifold gasket, or from a vacuum hose, port or device, extra air entering the induction system is not "metered" by the engine management system. This creates a slightly lean condition, which typically causes an unstable or slightly high idle. In many cases, the only time a small vacuum leak is noticeable is at idle: The extra air from the leak is a higher percentage of the total air entering the engine at idle than it is when the throttle is open and the engine is using more air and producing more power while under load. Many shops have a machine that finds vacuum leaks by using a nontoxic smoke. With the engine shut down, smoke is introduced under light pressure through a vacuum port, and the technician watches for where the smoke might be escaping from the engine: That's the source of the vacuum leak. Another possibility might be faulty or sticky IAC - idle air control motor - mounted on the throttle body. The IAC is a small electrical stepper motor that varies the idle air opening based on a signal from the engine management computer. If the motor is sticky or the orifice is clogged with carbon, it might not provide the exact amount of idle air commanded by the computer

When the air-con is running the engine is under greater load.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9 2002

Thanks for the responses.

1. Alternator is ok and battery light is not showng up.

2. ETM - very intersting - indeed this could be the problem.

3. Vacuum leak in the induction system - also looks like possible cause.

My local mechanic had a look at it today and connected his computer to the engine management computer but there were no faults - he is going to call a local Volvo dealer to see what they say - I'll pass on these suggestions to him on Monday.

Thanks again.

Advertisement