Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How dodgy is Talbot St?

Options
  • 16-06-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of renting an apartment in the Steelworks just off Talbot St.
    I've been told by a few people to find somewhere else as it's very dodgy down that area. What do people think?
    Post edited by GLaDOS on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

never been there in my life !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Paddy_Irishman

Its location is ideal. Right in the middle of town. Therin lies the problem.

Alot of wino's hang around there as they can beg for cash later, they were orignially from there, homeless centers are very near there. There is also the drug dealing element there.

Dont be to alarmed man, it happens most places in dublin city centre. the wino /drug thing. Is fear going to dictate your life? thats your choice.

Yes, you will have a higher chance of being mugged / set on. I personally have never been attacked in town, either by day or night. When heading to a mates gaff or just walking home from town.

If the price is good and your happy enough to deal with some **** every once in awhile go for it! Great place to crash after you go on the beer and so handy :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Talbot St itself is fine; it's one of Dublin's main streets. The problem is with the 'off Talbot St' part. AFAIK the Steelworks is in Foley St. which, although has had a lot of redevelopment, is still bang in the middle of Ireland's most deprived area. I live and work in the area myself but I advise you to wait and see how these new developments work out before committing to living in one. Many of them appear to have become de-facto social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Its improving all the time - I have worked on Talbot street for a couple of years now and in the beginning there were a lot of people getting mugged with phones stolen etc, also a lot of cars getting broken into on the side streets . There seems to be a lot less of this now although it still has a dodgy feel to it when all the (legal)workers leave after 5 / 6 in the evening

It is very central though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Talbot Street is fine during the day and slightly dodgier at night but i wouldn't say its any worse than anywhere else in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Nah, you'll be grand and it's a savage location too...I wouldn't think twice anyway............ and I'm a pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There are definitely far worse places you could live. There are lots of positives to being in a central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

hey, if the price is right i wouldnt think twice, savage location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Everywhere is dodgy ,I have to dodge people on a sunday in grafton street.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Talbot St has to have one of the highest ratios of absolute scum:normal people of any street in the city.

I walk up that way to town at lunch sometimes and it sickens me the amount of junkies and people who appear to have destroyed their brains with alcohol. What must tourists think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Who cares? honestly? They're the last of my concerns....there are a lot of places to be cleaned up and a lot of people to help in this city.....after that, i'll worry about tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

eth0_ wrote:
    Talbot St has to have one of the highest ratios of absolute scum:normal people of any street in the city.

I walk up that way to town at lunch sometimes and it sickens me the amount of junkies and people who appear to have destroyed their brains with alcohol. What must tourists think?

I picked up a girl in Foley St (just off Talbot St) in my taxi yesterday, thought she looked out of place and picked up on her American accent. I asked what she was doing down here, she'd just wondered down and got lost. Advised her against it, or places looking like it in future, and she agreed that it looked way dodgy. And she was from NYC!.

Talbot st. like alot of residential area's in the city centre is a dump and best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I live in the steelworks, dont move there unless you have a fetish about getting mugged. flatmate was mugged outside the front door.
    Corpo blocks around the corner with herion addicts at your doorstep.. im cant wait to get out of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Its not too bad at all to be honest, I could think of worse places, town as cleaned up a lot in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

tom-thebox wrote:
    Its not too bad at all to be honest, I could think of worse places, town as cleaned up a lot in recent years.

That's simply not true. I wouldn't live in the North inner city if you paid me! There are dodgy parts of the south city centre but it's nowhere near as bad as the North. I wouldn't walk around that Talbot St area at night ever. It's bad enough during the day, scumbag central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

eth0_ wrote:
    That's simply not true. I wouldn't live in the North inner city if you paid me! There are dodgy parts of the south city centre but it's nowhere near as bad as the North. I wouldn't walk around that Talbot St area at night ever. It's bad enough during the day, scumbag central.

I have to agree. I'm a taximan and see most parts of Dublin. IMHO Talbot St would be one of the worse places for a 'normal' person to live, but certainly not the worse!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I dont know how people can be scared to walk around in their own city in this day and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 unreg54756987

eth0_ wrote:

I agree, but in saying that, out of the million times Iv'e walked down that street, I aint ever had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Yeah there is a metadone clinic there on Amien street and the junkies, sorry recovering junkies (yeah right) tend to congregate on Talbot Street.

I stumbled over on my ankle last monday on Talbot street and nobody came to my assistance, was only later I realised that nobody wanted to risk stopping incase it was a set up.

Not a nice place, dfinitely not the worst though.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    That's simply not true. I wouldn't live in the North inner city if you paid me! There are dodgy parts of the south city centre but it's nowhere near as bad as the North.

Persoanlly I think, Rialto, Fatima mansions, dolphins barn are are a helluva lot worse than Talbot Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You might be right but nobody is trying to market Fatima Mansions as "an up an coming property investment opportunity". Don't go near Talbot St. It's a kip with a capital K.

Hagar wrote:
    You might be right but nobody is trying to market Fatima Mansions as "an up an coming property investment opportunity". Don't go near Talbot St. It's a kip with a capital K.

LOL true, but I can't avoid Talbot Street cause I walk home from work everyday to the dreaded Northside.

Tbh I think that everywhere has a certain level of danger, granted, some more than others, but I think it is ultimately how aware we are of our surroundings ect that lowers the level of danger.

I worked in Xtra Vision for 6 years and was robbed 5 times, I can now spot someone on the look a mile off. Obviously that doesnt help if your new apartment is being robbed while your at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Lots of bargins to be had in the 4 Guinneys shops though.

Oh... I do believe the housing blocks around there have the highest ratio of 'pyjama people' in the city.

That would be the people who walk around all day in their pyjamas.

I used to live on Buckingham Street around the corner actually... that's a pretty rough area alright... but the most hassle I ever got was from the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hagar wrote:
    You might be right but nobody is trying to market Fatima Mansions as "an up an coming property investment opportunity". Don't go near Talbot St.

Actually, suprisingly apartments near Fatima Mansions were being marketed as a good long term property investement...

nesf wrote:
    Actually, suprisingly apartments near Fatima Mansions were being marketed as a good long term property investement...

GULP! Driving through there with my Mother recently she said 'they eat there young around here....' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Captain cabbage

I like talbot street. It is a really dodgy area with scobes scoping to steal anything of value from anyone anytime. Laneways are toilets for numbers 1 and 2. Scanger central.i like to pretend that i am noddy and talbot street is toytown. God help anyone who tries to mug me though. I dont suffer fools well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

8 years later, I'm sure they're only delighted with your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think the East Wall, North Strand, Marino, Cabra and Phibsborough are very dodgy places, the first mentioned the worst.

Talbot street isn't the nicest place of Dublin, not the best people live there, but also not the worst, it's sort of ok and pretty central.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thread is from 2006!

Zombie thread locked

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement