Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie and Public Transport

Options
  • 16-06-2006 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

During his time in office did Charlie do anything for public transport other than Knock Airport? (I know, I am rolling around on the floor laughing as well)

But seriously, I know Albert Reyonds put a few quid into railways, but I cannot think of anything Charlie did for public transport while he was in government?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You're just waiting for someone to say "Free Travel", aren't you?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

I suspect the nearest Charlie ever got to mass transit was Terry Keane's knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

he cancelled the building of a bus station in Temple Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

dmeehan wrote:
    he cancelled the building of a bus station in Temple Bar

...but didn't develop an alternative either though did he. We still have busaras all these years later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wouldn't the Bombardier/GAC project have been during Charlie's time? In spite of all the flaws that the sorely missed buses had, compared to the other alternatives (the dud Leyland Atlantean) they were exceptionally modern buses for such a small country. Pity they weren't even better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

when was DART planned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

when was DART planned?

1974 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Red Alert wrote:
    Wouldn't the Bombardier/GAC project have been during Charlie's time? In spite of all the flaws that the sorely missed buses had, compared to the other alternatives (the dud Leyland Atlantean) they were exceptionally modern buses for such a small country. Pity they weren't even better.

The actual start of the Bombardier/GAC project would have been 1977 so that was before Haughey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

they were exceptionally modern buses for such a small country. Pity they weren't even better.

You have got to be kidding!!! They ate fuel and were hopelessly unecomonic when being run, they fell to bits, the airbrakes never worked properly, the suspension was a disaster, they had structural problems.

They entered service in 1981. In 1991 they started being withdrawn, earlier than the hopless Atlanteans they were intended to replace. Ironicly enough, they were replaced by other Leylands, Olyimpians in this case.

And dont even start me on the "moving boxes" they farmed out to Galway and Cork. I'm sure there'sa few Dublin Bus lads here who will fill you in on them. There's even a website devoted to them, you wond see one looking anything but badly built. Oh, and the headroom and seating layout downstairs was rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,222 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

During his time in office did Charlie do anything for public transport other than Knock Airport?
    Did he do anything for Knock Airport? It was built and opened during the 82-87 FG-Lab coalition. I don't think they provided any funding either, the then Minister for Communications famously described the location as "foggy, boggy" :D

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement