Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Laptop 599

Options
  • 15-06-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Saw this in Dunnes today, know its not a powerhouse, but check the price

AMILO
    14" Screen
    Celeron M370
    512MB
    40GB
    DVD Burner
    Wireless b/g, 56K modem, LAN
    XP Home
    usual bundle software
    1 year collect & return warranty

€ 599 !!!

Nice lappie for second pc etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Price is only average. A similar spec machine is the same, if not lower, price from PC world or DELL. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Don't think so, PC worlds 599 laptop only has 512MB ram, the dell 599 only has 90 day collect & return.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Run for the hills.
    Go for a Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

yup. get a dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

pc world have one 399 with 512 dvd/rw and a cele 370. notmch but cheap, its a patriot too, so dont expect it to last, rememebr with a laptop you get what you pay for.i paid 1700 for mine, and i use it more then mydesktop now, better cpu, better graphics faster dvd-rw/dl+- great screen. its a sony viao, only prob i have is keys are a bit dodgy, just need a slap every now and again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

399. talking through ur hole pal, 599 is the cheapest in PC World, and at that it's a Patriot ?!

Try and buy one pal, usual PC world ****e of "oh we dont have that in stock, but look at this nice compaq for 999"

Wake up dude to what u can have as opposed to what marketing people push at you.

Wake Rose ?! sound like something u can handle ?!

Pc World have a Patriot desktop with tft for 399 alright but not a laptop as far as I know.

They do have an advent laptop for 499 though, its pretty crap as you might expect but for 499 its more or less the same as the dunnes/low end dell ones except with 256mb of ram. Otherwise its similar, 14" screen, 40gb hd, wifi, etc, sis integrated gfx, etc.

What gfx card do you have in your vaio anti? Vaios are lovely laptops but they tend to be a bit poor on specs in comparison to other laptops of similar price I find....they really do look great though!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Hi

Has anyone Got one of these laptops.If so is it worth the money ,good build quality ?. This offer is still on and i have a friend thats thinking of getting one. Is there anything better anyone could suggest?

popey21 wrote:
    Hi

Has anyone Got one of these laptops.If so is it worth the money ,good build quality ?. This offer is still on and i have a friend thats thinking of getting one. Is there anything better anyone could suggest?

Going with DELL is still a better option, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Thanks for the reply, for the same spec with dell its 679 and it sure one Hugly looking laptop. I give these two options to my friend as being the best deals for that price range unless anybody else has suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Bought one last week, very pleased. Couldn't find anything cheaper with both DVD rewriter and 512MB ram. Nice nuild quality and 1 years warranty is comforting. The same thing from Dell is about 700 euros and thats with 90 days warranty as they dont put in a DVD rewriter as standard and fit only 256mb ram, charging a whopping 130 for the extra 256.

Its a nice laptop for general use, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

plus you will get your dunnes clubcard points! You have to keep an eye on the dell website to get a good deal I have found, but there is some UK mail order firms that do great deals on laptops etc. I use dabs and then I get points on pigsback which makes things even cheaper?

Go through pigsback for dell as well, you get points if you buy through them.

I use my pigsback points for top ups or dvd rentals from xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

Think I'd have to agree with people recommending Dell.

My own lappie is one of those "hugely ugly" ones (Inspiron 2600). I bought it four years ago, and it's still going strong :D

What it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for in robustness.
    By that I mean: solid keyboard, sturdy cdrw/dvd bay

My only followup costs were:
    • wireless PCMCIA card
    • more RAM
    • new battery (after four years...)

My only regret is that it was too early for USB2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks like Dell were listening to this :p
    They sell an Inspiron 1300 (1.7Ghz Pentium M, 512mb RAM, 14"WXGA screen, 60Gb HDD) for €619!
    Pentium M, of course, is vastly superior to Celeron M.

Celeron M isn't all bad. Its totally different then the regular desktop and older Celeron chips, all it shares is the name really. In benchmarks a 1.6 Celeron M was comparable to a Northwood 2.4ghz P4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Just some input on these fujitsu siemens laptops.I hate them,there really really really ugly and just dont look like there even worth the 599 price tag.I had to set one up for a friend and it just didnt feel sturdy at all and the 14" screen looked a bit flimsy.Could just have been the one I was looking at but I felt like they had been riped off.I know this is all being compared to dell but for a small bit extra I feel the 1300 inspiron is vastly superior quality...having said that I've seen a fair few problems with them to in my line of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

try www.laptopsdirect.ie

haven't had any dealing with them , would confirm if you get backup discs or not as the website isn't clear

prices seem decent for the price range you are searching in

Advertisement