Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Super Duper Diesel fuel - BP Ultimate

Options
  • 15-06-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Over the while weeks I've been filling up with BP Ultimate Diesel during my trips to N.Ireland. It's a few pence per litre more expensive but so far I've been very impressed in terms of power and economy. I haven't done an exact calculation on the MPG yet but I've noticed that whereas I previously would have done around 290 miles before the fuel needle showed half full, now I'm getting 330 miles (car is a 1999 Passat TDI). Top speed seems much better too, flat out my max speed has gone from an indicated 115mph to 120mph (i.e. off the clock) although this may be down to other factors, I can't quite tell.

Has anyone else been using BP Ultimate or know if BP have stations in the South? I hear Shell have an equivalent - Shell Diesel Extra AFAIK - but so far I've seen neither around Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BP aren't down here at all unfortunately. I always fill up with BP Ultimate Diesel when I'm over in the UK, and I can notice the difference imemdiately. The engine seems to run more quietly and smoothly and I definitely get increased 'oomph' too. I've not done any detailed calculations on MPG either but it does seem better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

120mph! Wow. I hope your ip address is hidden. The PSNI may want a quiet word otherwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

120mph! Wow. I hope your ip address is hidden. The PSNI may want a quiet word otherwise :D

I'm sure it wasn't on public roads.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Just worked out my latest fuel consumption using BP Ultimate Diesel. I filled up last week and ran until as empty as I dared before refilling again yesterday, the car taking 55.5 litres (~12.2 gallons). Apart from one blast to max speed for a couple of miles I drove like a nun, never exceeding 2100 revs or 60mph. I managed 766 miles averaging 62.7 mpg. One thing I noticed is that while driving so conservatively I encountered fewer muppets and got less annoyed behind the wheel. Must be getting old...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

el tel wrote:
    Just worked out my latest fuel consumption using BP Ultimate Diesel. I filled up last week and ran until as empty as I dared before refilling again yesterday, the car taking 55.5 litres (~12.2 gallons). Apart from one blast to max speed for a couple of miles I drove like a nun, never exceeding 2100 revs or 60mph. I managed 766 miles averaging 62.7 mpg. One thing I noticed is that while driving so conservatively I encountered fewer muppets and got less annoyed behind the wheel. Must be getting old...

Wow, that's some mileage! What did you get on normal diesel?

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Wow, that's some mileage! What did you get on normal diesel?

On normal diesel the best I have achieved (by driving with similar care as above), was around 58 mpg.

My next experiment is to drive hard using BP Ultimate. With normal diesel the worst I've managed was 50mpg and that included lots of 90mph trips up and down the motorway, frequent max-outs and plenty of hard acceleration. I find that the beauty of the TDI in general is that the difference in fuel consumption between average and balls-to-the-wall driving isn't hugely different, 5-6 mpg at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

el tel wrote:
    On normal diesel the best I have achieved (by driving with similar care as above), was around 58 mpg.

My next experiment is to drive hard using BP Ultimate. With normal diesel the worst I've managed was 50mpg and that included lots of 90mph trips up and down the motorway, frequent max-outs and plenty of hard acceleration. I find that the beauty of the TDI in general is that the difference in fuel consumption between average and balls-to-the-wall driving isn't hugely different, 5-6 mpg at most.

But if you combine driving conservatively with the diesel "plus" stuff, you're talking about an overall increase of 12MPG, which starts to add up.

Out of interest, how much of your driving is in traffic? My MPG figures are not what I hoped for...

eoin_s wrote:
    But if you combine driving conservatively with the diesel "plus" stuff, you're talking about an overall increase of 12MPG, which starts to add up.

Out of interest, how much of your driving is in traffic? My MPG figures are not what I hoped for...

Driving in traffic (i.e. Drumcondra Road :mad: and Dundalk-Newry roadworks)accounted for about 100 miles of the total 766miles (3.5 round trips between Belfast-Dublin plus ~60 miles of A-roads). I also added half a bottle of Redex to the fuel.

If you aren't getting the mileage check the usual: tyre pressures, air filter etc. (women: let the handbrake off ;)).

Advertisement