Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+ Processor are they any use???

Options
  • 15-06-2006 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi Folks

Just saw a laptop containing the AMD sempron processor is there much of a difference between these and the intel pentium processors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its the equivilent as an Intel Celeron processor...maybe a bit better, maybe a bit worse, I'm not sure myself.

I don't suppose its in a laptop you are looking at in PC world? Because Pc World are doing some pretty impressivedeals at the moment with advent laptops with sempron processors...might get one myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trade-it

Don't bother with that. Its not great, Sempron, 512mb ram, 64 mb s3 graphics...450 sterling is alot.

PC World have an Advent 7076 laptop with the following specs for 749 Euro..

3000+ Sempron
    1024mb Ram
    DVD -/+ RW
    15.4 Screen
    128MB Ati x200 gfx

Much better option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trade-it

Cheers thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

sempron is a good bit better than celeron though. Its more of a desktop chip. IE fairly powerfull, but not great on juice, hence why machines based on them are cheaper.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting Souper...I did not know that (that they were better then Celerons)

I am getting one tomorrow actually, for 749 its not bad. The laptop listed above.

I will be using it off the mains mostly....so should be grand for my needs. Do they get very hot? Or is it just battery life won't be all that great

I got one this morning, itching for work to be over so I can go home and test it out. :D

I'll post a report here on what it's like.

Tested a few games on it...

Counter Strike Source - Running on lowish settings ok
    Battlefield 2 - Running on all low settings ok
    Battlefield 1942 - Running on all high ok
    C&C Generals - Running on high ok
    Quake III - Running on high ok
    Wolfenstein - Running on high ok
    Pariah - Running on medium ok

Not all bad, but the Xpress 200 is a bit worse then I even anticipated....:p

Nice laptop though, lovely screen, nice design, etc....

Advertisement