Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

norton software "problem"

Options
  • 15-06-2006 2:48am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭

first time posting here and i apologise that im almost computer illiterate.
    i had mcaffee on my dell laptop (just for the trial period) and then registered the laptop with my university, so i presumed their antivirus software was covering my ass. anyway, laptop was acting up this morning-screen just blacked out and i couldnt do anything with it. eventually had to cut the power (i know this is a massive no-no alone!) got it working when i restarted it and left it on. whiles i was gone one of my mates bought norton and downloaded it, and next thing when we went back norton discovered a virus and was working away at it.but now that its done, it wont let me access any of my files. it'll acknowledge they are there, but i cant open them and the comp is basically screwed.

i know norton PROBABLY had nothing to do with the whole thing, but was just wondering had any of ye ever heard of or experienced anything similar?
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

When yo say files do you mean Shortcuts? executables?? ...

(the reason im asking is alot of malware patch the regestry to intercept links and programs)

I would try to boot in safe mode and use roleback to restore your system to a previous state.

This is the simplest possible solution.

-Boot your pc.
    -when starting windows text appears press f8
    -use the menu to select safe mode
    -When safe mode finishes booting a messagebox will appear read it to figure out if system restore is yes or no as i can never remember.
    -Pick a state and restore

I could tell you how to digging in the windows regestry and restore keys manually but itd take more than a post.

This may not work and i wouldnt take odds it will but its worth a shot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

thanks a million man! you're a legend! managed to restore the computer by two days using your instructions and the laptop is up and running again. lost norton off the system, but just relieved that no important files were affected.
    cheers again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The fun ain't over yet dude.

Update your Anti-Virus and rescan the machine.

Make sure that Virus is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Yea get avg free edition and scan again. Should have had coffee before posting that :D

Advertisement