Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional On Provisional Insurance....

Options
  • 14-06-2006 12:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My sister just rang me and see passed her Theory Test,she said she is going to get Insured on her boyfriends car.Now I am 90% certain a Provisional driver cannot get Insured on another provisional drivers policy.

Can anybody confirm this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dub13 wrote:
    My sister just rang me and see passed her Theory Test,she said she is going to get Insured on her boyfriends car.Now I am 90% certain a Provisional driver cannot get Insured on another provisional drivers policy.

Can anybody confirm this.

I don't see why not.

She should be able to get put on as a named driver on his policy. As she is also a provisional driver the price of adding her to his policy will more than likely be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Quinn Direct allow it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like I was wrong,I think her boyfriend is with Quinn.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely the first port of call would be to contact the insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hill Billy wrote:
    Quinn Direct allow it.

No they don't. I rang them on January to enquire about getting put on my then boyfriends policy or him on mine (we're both with quinn), and they said no way, not unless the main driver has a full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

kbannon wrote:
    Surely the first port of call would be to contact the insurance company?

Of course it is but I just wanted the info so if it is not possible I could tell her and stop her getting her hopes up.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

When I started driving I was insured on Mrs Parsi's policy . Mrs. Parsi had a provisional at the time but didn't begin to drive until 2 years later... the policy was through Glennons (Church & General was the first insurer).

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

When I started driving, I was insured under my mothers name. We both had provisionals, and there was no problem getting quotes. The issue was getting a reasonable quote. We ended up with Quinn. I can't see what difference it would make whether the main driver had a full licence or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm 23 qnd my insurance on a 1.3 corolla this year was 1900 and if i added my girlfriend to my policy it was free, both provisionals and yup it was with quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Vegeta wrote:
    I'm 23 qnd my insurance on a 1.3 corolla this year was 1900 and if i added my girlfriend to my policy it was free, both provisionals and yup it was with quinn

Same story with me, free to add my girlfriend to my policy...not so cheap the other way around tho :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hill Billy wrote:
    Quinn Direct allow it.

what he said... put herself on my policy before either of had the test...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I just got a quote from Quinn Direct for a 1.4 civic at a few hundred over 2000 on a 1.4 Honda Civic on a provisional license. I then went back and added my sister as a named driver on a provisional license (despite the fact she hasn't considered getting one yet) and the price was returned exactly as the last one.

-Which is great except the guy selling the Civic is looking for a grand over the odds before talking about the dents. Grrrr.

Advertisement