Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new Leon FR

Options
  • 14-06-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=220009

Surely thats a mistake when it says the diesel 168BHP is as fast 0-60 as
    the petrol 197BHP TFSI ??? Anyone thinking of getting the petrol FR? i was going fot the vRS but might wait to see this first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

omega man wrote:
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=220009

Surely thats a mistake when it says the diesel 168BHP is as fast 0-60 as
    the petrol 197BHP TFSI ??? Anyone thinking of getting the petrol FR? i was going fot the vRS but might wait to see this first.

nah I'd believe that, that torque off that diesel would be fantastic to experiance :D And I hear the new cupra is going to have 240 as standard.... phwoaarrr, Would that be the Golf R32 engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭omega man

The old leon PD150 diesel was 8.9 0-60 and the 20VT 180 was 7.5. Thats some change on the new engine. And with the rev range on the petrol i still cant believe they match on 0-60. The 2.0 TDI 140 is 9.3 seconds
    so 2 seconds with 28 more BHP, i doubt it!

"As far as the diesel version is concerned, the León FR is driven by the same highly sophisticated 170 hp 2.0 TDI engine first showcased by its sibling, the SEAT Altea FR. With this powerplant, the León can achieve a top speed of 214 km/h with a 0 to100 km/h sprint in 8.2 seconds and average fuel consumption of just 6.0 litres per 100 km."

That sounds more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ando wrote:
    nah I'd believe that, that torque off that diesel would be fantastic to experiance :D And I hear the new cupra is going to have 240 as standard.... phwoaarrr, Would that be the Golf R32 engine?

The Golf R32 uses VW's 4Motion 4 wheel drive system. For the Leon Cupra to use this engine it would need 4WD, also the Golf R32 has more than 240bhp so my guess is that the Leon Cupra uses a higher tuned version of VW's 2.0 TFSi engine (found in the Golf GTi/Skoda Octavia vRS) through the front wheels.

Would be interesting to see how the new Cupra copes with 240bhp through the front wheels, will probably result in plenty of torque steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Man the new Leon is a real let down on the old one... Looks awful in comparison to the first models sleek looks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭sk8board

saw an FR over the weekend. Looks fantastic. The rest of the range is a bit soft unfortunately (which was the point I guess).

a pedantic correction above: the Diesel engine actually delivers a massive 340 torque, not 240 :)

not sure why anyone will want the Cupra, when the FR delivers 90%+ of the performance, for substantially less money than the cupra or gti. 240bhp throught the front wheels seems a bit much. The astra tried it (as did the alpha gta), and both suffered very badly because of it.
    Great for playing top trumps down the pub with the lads; but hard to live with I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

sk8board wrote:
    240bhp throught the front wheels seems a bit much. The astra tried it (as did the alpha gta), and both suffered very badly because of it.
    Great for playing top trumps down the pub with the lads; but hard to live with I would say.
    Depends on the chassis and how it puts the power down. Focus ST can take 300bhp plus.

possibly, but it wouldn't make for much better a ride than you get from the stock ST. Steering, brakes and 300hp through the front wheels.

THe only car I've ever seen to handle c.250hp was a Saab 9-5 Hot Aero. Have been in one of those Astra's and it was a complete dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jon_95

The new leon fr(cupra) is running the 2.0 tfsi engine, 245BHP and 0-60 specs of under 5.5seconds, they always had an r32 version of the leon cupra called the cupra4 which was only launched in germany, 4wd 2.8 engine... this was actually slower than the cupra r because of the added weight, the new leon with seat sport 18" alloys looks amazing IMO i'd love one in a year or too when the prices fall a bit,

sk8board wrote:
    possibly, but it wouldn't make for much better a ride than you get from the stock ST. Steering, brakes and 300hp through the front wheels.

No not possibly, really. Its a ford approved upgrade, doesnt affect the ride at all.
    245BHP and 0-60 specs of under 5.5seconds
    6.4 Secs to 60.

• Advertisement

so you believe eveything you read on google, well done mate.

Just becaue it's ford approved doesn't mean it effects the ride like!

so your saying the std 1.4 has exactly the same ride and stifness as an ST,
    if so they're one bad piece a sh*t(that neways IMO!)
    and the saab 93 vigen a great FWD car, handles 230 without a bother through the front wheels, seen these come in with 200k on the clock and no problems with gear boxes or drives at all, they are the fastest 40-70mph produstion car on the market also. the only prob they do suffer from is tearing the subframe of the car off the front bulkhead with the torque,

as for your 6.5....
    those are last years tfsi engine sper, the march 07 model is pushing 245bhp, 30ft/lbs of torque extra and sub 5.5 0-60.

all meant in a positive way!

jon_95 wrote:
    so you believe eveything you read on google, well done mate.
    Just becaue it's ford approved doesn't mean it effects the ride like!
    Like the way you just assume things:rolleyes:
    From experience mate. Driven one, having my ST upgraded later this year.
    jon_95 wrote:
    so your saying the std 1.4 has exactly the same ride and stifness as an ST,
    if so they're one bad piece a sh*t(that neways IMO!)
    Where did i say that?oh yeah because i didnt that's right.
    jon_95 wrote:
    as for your 6.5....
    those are last years tfsi engine sper, the march 07 model is pushing 245bhp, 30ft/lbs of torque extra and sub 5.5 0-60.
    I'll hang on here till you check out your figures, then you can apologise

as for your 6.5....
    those are last years tfsi engine sper, the march 07 model is pushing 245bhp, 30ft/lbs of torque extra and sub 5.5 0-60.[/QUOTE]

0-60 sub 5.5. Afraid not man!

http://www.seat.com/com/generator/su/com/modelCupra/site/models/choices/cupra/main,lang=en.html

as for the first post about the upgrading of the st, sorry i read that wrong, just because ford approve an engine upgrade for the st to 300+ this only means that you will not void your warranty when it has been fitted, not that the car will handle exactly the same as before, thats what i'm trying to get across,

as for the NEW leon, yea can apologise in march lads theres no problem there,

and if your worried about the new leon not handling the power i have a buddy driving a 380bhp ibiza cupra for 3 years with 40k done at 340-380 without any problems, also i know of a lad who bought a new leon cupra last year with 30k on it running a jabbasport stage 3 IHI kit at 400bhp without any problems, except for traction that is...

th 300+bhp kit comprises of a w/c intercooler and garrett or IHI turbo is it? or is it simply a remap of the ECU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sub 5.5 secs to 60 in a 5-door hatch with 245bhp is not making sense... unless they threw out some seats, and are running on slicks.. and even then, I can't see it happening. I'll wait till the next Autocar 0-100-0 test comes out, then we'll know!

Biro wrote:
    sub 5.5 secs to 60 in a 5-door hatch with 245bhp is not making sense... unless they threw out some seats, and are running on slicks.. and even then, I can't see it happening. I'll wait till the next Autocar 0-100-0 test comes out, then we'll know!

never been a fan of 0-60 times. lets be honest, you rarely use it. However, 40-70 times are far more useful, esp for overtaking.
    That saab aero I mentioned above would do 40-70 in 3 seconds (in 2nd gear tho!)

here's some geeky info:D

jon_95 wrote:
    the new leon with seat sport 18" alloys looks amazing IMO i'd love one in a year or too when the prices fall a bit,

Is the new Cupra actually been sold in Ireland?? I know the Mk1 wasnt sold here, I ended up going to the Uk to get one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The cupra r was always sold here but went for over 40k new, even the new FR is going for 35k on carzone, the older model was around 31k.

Those stats are based on the old 1.8T engine, I'd say the 240bhp 2.0 will be a lot better, although I cant understand why they didn’t keep the 1.8 and stick FSI technology on to it.

• Advertisement

Those stats are based on the old 1.8T engine, I'd say the 240bhp 2.0 will be a lot better, although I cant understand why they didn’t keep the 1.8 and stick FSI technology on to it.

The 1.8 litre 20 valve unit will not meet new EU emission regulations, VAG are phasing it out of their entire range. The Audi A4 and Skoda Superb are the only VAG cars afaik that still use it simply because those models are a bit long in the tooth and are due to be replaced in the next year or two.

VAG already had the 2.0 TFSi developed in the Golf GTi so it makes financial sense to use that in their other branded performance models.

All they need to do now is drop that terrible 1.6 litre 8 valve unit.

one of the guys in work has one, its such a scam.. he hates it as the engine is so lack lustre...

The cupra r was always sold here but went for over 40k new, even the new FR is going for 35k on carzone

oh, I always believed it wasnt sold here officially. I know it was imported by one or two dealers as demo's or the like and then sold on but because they were so expensive no-one bought them. hmm, well learn somethin new everyday

even the new FR is going for 35k on carzone, the older model was around 31k.

Doesn't the €35k one have the DSG gearbox; the comparison GTI is €40k+.

Advertisement