Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a new car!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2006 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I have my trusty polo for a year now & passed my test in it but now I'm looking for something bigger and newer.

I have a budget of €5000 which and am looking along the lines of a 99/00 1.4L that looks good. I really like the mk4 golf but am not sure I can afford one that doesn’t have ridiculous mileage on it.

I'm open to suggestions because I'm not exactly flooded with ideas of what to get although I don’t want a civic so you can rule that out! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would you get much of a trade in on the Polo? €5000 isn't that much of a budget for buying a car from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

€5000 won't get you much of a golf unfortunately.seat leons are a bit cheaper and essentially mostly the same car. you might pick up a focus for that as well.you could get some trusty jap stuff - corolla,civic etv...or I gues you could buy an astra...but I prob wouldn't
    I'm in much the same situation as yoursel and am thinking about a 97 A3 - I have same budget and engine restrictions too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Stark wrote:
    Would you get much of a trade in on the Polo? €5000 isn't that much of a budget for buying a car from scratch.
    the €5000 budget is including the €3500 i hope to get for the polo!
    & €5000 is all i can afford workn a part time min wage job & in college :(
    natnif wrote:
    €5000 won't get you much of a golf unfortunately.seat leons are a bit cheaper and essentially mostly the same car. you might pick up a focus for that as well.you could get some trusty jap stuff - corolla,civic etv...or I gues you could buy an astra...but I prob wouldn't
    I'm in much the same situation as yoursel and am thinking about a 97 A3 - I have same budget and engine restrictions too
    Yea was lookn at the leon & focus but they dont seem to be much cheaper than the golf! The corolla & civic don't really do it for me!

Why wouldnt you buy an astra that was one that i was seriously considering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Opel Astra. A 98 looks and is as good as a 03 and loads cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

astra's just aren't as well screwed together imo!I'd prefer a 96 quality car to a 98/99 average car but thats just me...if you get a low miler 99 it would be a good car for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Are you looking to trade in or sell the polo? Garages usually give a fairly crap trade in and if you were looking at cars for 5k and 3.5k trade in I don't know how many would be interested. You may be better trying to sell it privately first then buying with cash, you'll probably get a much better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

mloc123 wrote:
    Are you looking to trade in or sell the polo? Garages usually give a fairly crap trade in and if you were looking at cars for 5k and 3.5k trade in I don't know how many would be interested. You may be better trying to sell it privately first then buying with cash, you'll probably get a much better deal.

I'll probably be buying privately so I'll be selling privately too, the only thing is i'll have to buy before i sell because i cant afford to be without a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i always reccommend to people that don't have a specific car in mind to look on carzone and enter price up to €5k or something like that, you'd always be surprised what you can get your hands on for that kind of money.
    astra wouldn't be bad. a bit dull in standard trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

post details of your polo. are you sure you can get 3500 for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

what about a lancer/colt or maybe an almera.

reliability is usually quite good, as are the prices.

Recently sold my 98 lancer for €3700, and it was in great nick, could pick up a 00 for less than €5k if ur lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement