Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell xps

Options
  • 13-06-2006 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

hey folks

is there any marked difference between a m170 xps and a m1710 xps system?

basically the core duo vs the centrino.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

legs11 wrote:
    basically the core duo vs the centrino.........

Core duo=2 processors in one, therefore a helluva lot more processing power.

Centrino = 1 processor, bundled with wireless networking, optimised for battery life and mobility. Having said that, I presume the core duo would also have wireless networking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

my dell xps laptop ( gen 2 ), died about 2 months ago ( overheating issues :eek: ).

anyway i got a m1710 as a replacement and all i can say is that the core duo machine is actually a centrino duo machine, therefore it has wireless, and is just as efficient as the single core version.

performance wise, the core duo is so much better, i have the 2.16 Ghz version and i play oblivion on high settings and my Cpu usage is never over 60 % .

which is pretty crazy, really:eek:

anyway, core duo is the way to go, most powerful cpu ive ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slickjim

KamiKazi wrote:
    my dell xps laptop ( gen 2 ), died about 2 months ago ( overheating issues :eek: ).

anyway i got a m1710 as a replacement and all i can say is that the core duo machine is actually a centrino duo machine, therefore it has wireless, and is just as efficient as the single core version.

performance wise, the core duo is so much better, i have the 2.16 Ghz version and i play oblivion on high settings and my Cpu usage is never over 60 % .

which is pretty crazy, really:eek:

anyway, core duo is the way to go, most powerful cpu ive ever seen

Well being an ex employee of dell I know that the Core Duo is just the upgrade to the Centrino Processor. Difference, well it is simply the processor is the same but software built into the processor/ designed to think that it is two Processors when actually it is only one with a large cache, split into two.

Other than that the Dell XPS 1710 is pretty much the same device.:cool:

Slickjim wrote:
    Well being an ex employee of dell I know that the Core Duo is just the upgrade to the Centrino Processor. Difference, well it is simply the processor is the same but software built into the processor/ designed to think that it is two Processors when actually it is only one with a large cache, split into two.

That's actually incorrect - you are mixing core duo up with hyperthreading.

Core duo is in fact two processors, hyperthreading is what you are referring to - one physical processor that looks like two to the operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ha owned.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tom dunne wrote:
    That's actually incorrect - you are mixing core duo up with hyperthreading.

Core duo is in fact two processors, hyperthreading is what you are referring to - one physical processor that looks like two to the operating system.

um.. i may be wrong here, but my understanding is the the core duo is actually 1 cpu but with 2 cores, based on the 65nm manufacturing process. and yes 2mb cache split between them

yeah it is 1 cpu but it has two cores, both 2.16Ghz, therefore it is in all effect two cpus. Hyperthreading is 1 cpu with 1 core that shows up in windows as two cpus.

Doesnt matter now anyway coz HT came on P4's, which are now very obselete ( old, weak, inefficient ).

KamiKazi wrote:
    yeah it is 1 cpu but it has two cores, both 2.16Ghz, therefore it is in all effect two cpus.

Time to play the ex-Intel employee card, methinks. :D

The physical chip is one unit, but there are two processors (or cores) in the one unit. And, as correctly pointed out, these two cores share Level 2 cache. If we really want to get technical, each core has it's own Level 1 cache.

Wikipedia has a good diagram explaining the concept.

tom dunne wrote:
    The physical chip is one unit, but there are two processors (or cores) in the one unit.
    exactly:p

Advertisement