Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a 6680 for dial in access.

Options
  • 13-06-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,

Is it possible to use a Nokia 6680 as an old analog modem? I have connected the Nokia 6680 to my laptop via the DKU-2 USB cable and communication is fine. I can connect to the internet no problem using Nokia Suite software but this is using the very expensive 3G price plan.

What I want to do is setup my Laptop to dial into my home PC using my 6680 phone as the modem. My home PC is setup with an analog modem and has a dedicated phone line connected to it. What I want to do or the plan to do if possible is to dial directly into my home PC using the Nokia 6680. This way it won`t be as expensive.

My Nokia is showing up in modems and I have setup a connection to the home phone number. When I click connect my phone trys to dial the number but then connection error imediatley after.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You might get a better response on the mobiles/pda forum.

Anyway, have you tried simply connecting to your mobile provider's ISP? I know Vodafone and O2 have a dedicated ISP telephone number that you can try out. It's the same concept as dialling an ISP from your home PC. I am sure a quick search on their respective web sites will get the connection settings for you. If you are with O2, you will only get a max of 14.4kbps, Vodafone will allow up to 38kbps with HSCD. You need to get HSCD enabled on your Vodafone account to avail of this.

Once you get that working, you can then try and get the connection to your home PC working. On that - what software have you running on your home pc to allow incoming connections? Could the problem be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Short and sweet answer is no, the only way these (6630,6680 etc) can be used as a modem is via the GPRS or 3G services of O2 or Vodafone, tried the same last year and just not possible. Its not really a modem at all just an adapter onto the phone network and a way to syphen money out of your pockets.

MC

Cableguy wrote:
    Hi there,

Is it possible to use a Nokia 6680 as an old analog modem? I have connected the Nokia 6680 to my laptop via the DKU-2 USB cable and communication is fine. I can connect to the internet no problem using Nokia Suite software but this is using the very expensive 3G price plan.

What I want to do is setup my Laptop to dial into my home PC using my 6680 phone as the modem. My home PC is setup with an analog modem and has a dedicated phone line connected to it. What I want to do or the plan to do if possible is to dial directly into my home PC using the Nokia 6680. This way it won`t be as expensive.

My Nokia is showing up in modems and I have setup a connection to the home phone number. When I click connect my phone trys to dial the number but then connection error imediatley after.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Thanks Tom and Munster for input here. Thats blown my idea of a cheap mobile internet access solution out of the water. Its back to the drawing board so.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Buy an O2 Sony ericsson k300i speakeasy for €70 with €80 credit and it will operate as a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hey people just to let you know I contacted Nokia and if the phones GSM option is not locked by the phone company it will work. This is an e-mail I got from Nokia reads:
    > Thank you for contacting the Club Nokia Careline.
    >
    > With regard to your query concerning the Nokia 6680 analogue modem, you
    > need to set the phone to GSM mode to allow an analogue modem setup. Please
    > go to Menu > Tools > Settings > Network and set the network mode to GSM.
    > This will then allow you to create a GSM modem connection.
    >
    > Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further
    > questions.
    >
    > Yours sincerely
    >
    > Nokia Service Professional

Unfortunatley my phones locked to the 3 network and I don`t have the option. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nokia phones are seemingly very easy to unlock and there are some good online unlocking sites. I usedone that cost only $1.50

Advertisement