Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emptying my cup.

Options
  • 13-06-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I'm an atheist, but I'm interested in finding out more about other religions. I think that it'd be really very useless to try and learn about them from the point of view that "I'm right about being an atheist, everything else is tripe so I should just sit down and find out why everything else is wrong". I've heard mention of this "emptying your cup" koan, and thought that this might be a good place to look for advice on not being so closed minded. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I'm an atheist, but I'm interested in finding out more about other religions. I think that it'd be really very useless to try and learn about them from the point of view that "I'm right about being an atheist, everything else is tripe so I should just sit down and find out why everything else is wrong". I've heard mention of this "emptying your cup" koan, and thought that this might be a good place to look for advice on not being so closed minded. Any suggestions?

Here is the background to that Koan

Buddhist scholar and a Zen Master. The scholar had an extensive background in Buddhist Studies and was an expert on the Nirvana Sutra. He came to study with the master and after making the customary bows, asked her to teach him Zen. Then, he began to talk about his extensive doctrinal background and rambled on and on about the many sutras he had studied. The master listened patiently and then began to make tea. When it was ready, she poured the tea into the scholar's cup until it began to overflow and run all over the floor. The scholar saw what was happening and shouted, "Stop, stop! The cup is full; you can't get anymore in." The master stopped pouring and said: "You are like this cup; you are full of ideas about Buddha's Way. You come and ask for teaching, but your cup is full; I can't put anything in. Before I can teach you, you'll have to empty your cup."

This story is and old one, but it continues to be played out in our lives day-by-day. We are so enamored of our own ideas and opinions and so trapped by our conditioning that we fill ourselves up to the brim and nothing can get in.

I think the Koan is trying to to tell us not to search for the truth; only cease to cherish opinions. If one can empty oneself, let go, and cease to hold on to one's views, the truth will come to us. Westerners are taught to cherish their opinions, and letting go is difficult because we have been brought up to value the rational thought processes above all else; this attitude is deeply embedded in us and forms the basis for much of our way of life, at least as it is taught in the public school system. What this means is that when we approach things carrying our conditioning, ideas, or opinions, our perceptions are colored by them. This is the "burden of oneself" we carry. Unless we can empty ourselves and enter the moment free and open, our perceptions are clouded by delusion, and we can't see things clearly. This is where meditation can really help. The goal is to let your mind wander freely. Don't lock on to any one thought but just relax and view what passes as you would a movie. You will be surprised by some of the thoughts that occur. As you progress, little by little you will develop the ability to explore new ideas. I would stress that most Buddhists do not call Buddhism a religion. and a lot of Buddhists are atheist. Posting here is a great start and I am sure many will have information to offer you. I am not well versed in the different Koens, but I am sure the other Zen Buddhists here will be able to help you out.

Advertisement