Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Families

Options
  • 13-06-2006 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

I've never been in the Army myself but when I was born my family lived in quarters in Cathal Brugha. We moved out to where my family live now but I had a great time popping in and out of the Barracks growing up. Going in for displays, parties, my brothers passing out and the best bit was when my brother or dad arrived back from serving over seas.

Anyone else here grow up around the Irish army or are bringing up kids in that way? Like i said i never joined up myself but was a very proud way to be raised.

6th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

I too lived the army upbringing life. Fantastic social opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

That definitely must have been an interesting life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HST

I lived something along those lines, my father served for 21 years and he retired when I was 9 or 10. I remember going to the social functions for the families etc. It led me into joining to the army. I love how I was brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hailz

hi guys could someone please tell me what its like for families.

my bf of 6years has his interview on thursday and i just want to be prepared.... what am i to expect....iv been trying to get as much info as possible.

we have never been apart in the whole 6 years. weve agreed that if everything works out and he gets in that well settle down.

id like to know how long excatly will hed be gone, when will i get to see him.....any information please..... the not knowing and been unprepared is killing me.

:confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

hailz wrote: »
    hi guys could someone please tell me what its like for families.

my bf of 6years has his interview on thursday and i just want to be prepared.... what am i to expect....iv been trying to get as much info as possible.

we have never been apart in the whole 6 years. weve agreed that if everything works out and he gets in that well settle down.

id like to know how long excatly will hed be gone, when will i get to see him.....any information please..... the not knowing and been unprepared is killing me.

:confused::(
    If he is accepted into the DF he then belongs to them and not you.
    They will have first call on his time and commitments. You will become No.2 .

This may seem harsh but it is the reality of life in any military force. Any time with you is only because his main mistress allows it.

If you can accept that, life within a military force has huge advantages, if you cannot, stay away as it will make you both miserable.

There is no half way unfortunately, but I wish you both the best for the future whatever it brings.

Advertisement