Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a new miraculous cure attributed to John the Baptist

• 13-06-2006 5:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Wow, here we go again, a new miraculous cure attributed to John the Baptist

Miracle of John the Baptist's hand?By Adrian Blomfield in Moscow?John the Baptist's right hand has had many adventures since it was cut from the rest of his body two millennia ago.
    Legend has it that it saved the people of Antioch, in modern day Turkey, from a dragon, which choked to death when a man from the city threw a finger from the hand into its throat. The hand, which normally resides in Montenegro, is working wonders again as it visits Russia for the first time since it was smuggled out of the country after the 1917 revolution.
    Vladimir Mastukov, a pensioner who lost the use of his legs after a stroke five years ago, bent down to kiss a display case housing the hand. Moments later he cast aside his crutches and skipped out of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in central Moscow.
    "I felt such lightness in all my body," he was quoted as saying. "Thank you, God."
    Since it arrived aboard a charter flight in a bullet-proof shrine, the relic has stirred religious fervour. Queues several miles long stretch past the cathedral. The faithful wait for up to 11 hours to kiss the relic.
    "My soul drew me here," said Vadim Marushenko from the Siberian city of Omsk.
    "I can't formulate in words the elation of having seen it. I just knew as I touched it that the lives of those closest to me will be slightly easier."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you believed there was something that counld instantly and completely cure what ailed you, would you not queue for hours?

I certainly would. I love quick fixes.

Now that I think about it, religion is very much about the easy answer to things...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I heard that if you tie the hand onto a stick it can cure an itchy back.

It's a mad world though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

If one finger can kill a dragon imagine what a whole hand could do!! Could be a WMD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But if somone couldn't use their legs for five years the muscle wouldn't be there to support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Would it cure you of lions, though?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Scofflaw wrote:
    I suppose if you threw it they might run after it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But if somone couldn't use their legs for five years the muscle wouldn't be there to support them.

Uh, hello? Its magic...:rolleyes:

Duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Scofflaw wrote:

cordially,
    Scofflaw

it might cure you lice, but lions I doubt, unless you mean the really really small ones that make home in your armpits and cause itchiness ?

I'm starting to feel sorry for old Johnny boy, as dismemberments go he's had a bad time of it, does anyone have any other body parts of his lying around / in the freezer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

I suppose if you threw it they might run after it. :D

Throwing your hand is a one-off thing when you think about it.

And sh*t, this is right up there with Saint "Wiggle your big toe." who brought strength back to a unknown blond womans legs after she had spent a year or two in a coma. :)

Advertisement