Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commuter transport advice

Options
  • 13-06-2006 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

O.K. what I am looking for is some opinions on what would make a good replacement long distance commuter van or car. I currently drive a 98 Renault Kangoo van on a 200 mile round trip commute but it has a bad habit of eating left hand side drive shafts and is getting tired, worn seats, burning oil etc. I have been thinking of a Golf diesel or Puegeot 406 TD. Problem is, budget is very tight. I need cheap, reliable and econcomical and by cheap I mean cheap as in 6+ years old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Come on guys, ideas, comments etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm thinking Astra 1.7 TD

Never thought of that. Whats the high milage reliability like on them as they seem cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isuzu engines in these are top notch, any gripes I usually have with astras are with petrol ones. You could pick up a very cheap one up north. some with quite nice spec. also consider Vectras with the same engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was driving an Opel Vectra 04 for the last few days while car was in garage. I hated the thing, was sluggish and gear box was brutal to say the least. The indicators where terrible as well. Was glad when I dropped it back and got my Passat back.

Would never go near an Opel again. What size of a van are you looking for? car van or a proper van the size of a transit? bro has a Peugeot 1.9Hdi one going for cheap but need the timing belt fixed after it went in it. He hadn't the time so just went out and bought a new Transit. Its just sitting outside house now

• Advertisement

What type of pug with the 1.9HDi. I am open to any ideas.

Advertisement