Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appetite Suppressors?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Has anyone here taken a course of pills to suppress appetite? If so, are they worthwhile and what exactly did you take?

Any side effects/negative aspects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, but you should not take the easy way out IMO

Talk to a GP about the effects as you will still have to eat a certain amount of nutrients every day. The doctor can recommend a dietist for you. Certain foods takes longer to digest and so will make you less hungry.

Drink lots of water, about +2 litres/day.

Talk to a knowledgeable person in a health shop. They can recommend healthy foods that will leave you full for longer.

If you still opt for the pills, talk to a GP beforehand anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,952 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Where to start...

Yes. Avoid at all costs.

Exercise/healthy diet regime is pretty much the only safe way to lose weight. If there was a magic pill that was perfectly safe then everyone would be taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get some professional advice as well as asking people here who have tried them, better safe than sorry. Personally I wouldnt go near them, think of what they are doing to your body. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Has anyone here taken a course of pills to suppress appetite? If so, are they worthwhile and what exactly did you take?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetite_suppressant

Ecstacy was originally discovered while searching for diet drugs.

Most appetite suppressants are amphetamine based, that's speed to the common man.

They are used by bombing pilots still in US missions, to stop them sleeping and also to stop hunger, while they are flying they take "Fly" pills which are amphetamines and when they land after 3 days in the air sometimes they then take "No Fly" barbiturates to sleep, not too nice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This thread is coming close to the danger line of being closed. But for now, let me just say to the OP that you should not take any form of appetite suppressants unless prescribed by your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Dudara, I was only indicating that they are nasty substances in general and should be avoided, most reputable doctors wont even prescribe them.
    Hmm maybe I should have mentioned that, but the wiki link actually is good in its condemnation of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

dudara wrote:
    This thread is coming close to the danger line of being closed. But for now, let me just say to the OP that you should not take any form of appetite suppressants unless prescribed by your doctor.
    I have to agree ( hope I don't get in trouble for posting now:) ). My mum who has been on a diet for as long as I can remember (I'm 28 so thats a long time to be remembering for) got her hands on some of these pills a few years ago and thought they were the best thing ever, gave her loads of energy, never hungry etc ete, then after about 7 or 8 months they were taken off the market because they contained such a high amount of speed. When she had to come off them because of this she was unbearable for a good while, she had become addicted to speed:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If anyone has taken a medically prescribed course, I'm interested in hearing their opinion. But please no anecdotal stories about over-the-counter pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dudara wrote:
    If anyone has taken a medically prescribed course, I'm interested in hearing their opinion. But please no anecdotal stories about over-the-counter pills.

Well in fairness, this isn't a medical board, it's a Personnal Issues board, so the questions itself is pretty out of place.

The cause of the questions is what should be dealt with imo.

OP, why are you looking to take these pills? How overweight are you, have you failed with other diets/excercise regimes etc?

Advertisement