Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old Licence question

Options
  • 12-06-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Many years ago when you passed your test for a car it automatically entitled you to drive a motorbike ie what is now Class A.
    Can anyone tell me when this was phased out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The new style of driving licence (i.e. the current type) was first introduced in Ireland in 1989/1990 (I had the old-type of licence for one year when I first started driving in '88).

Perhaps this was when the categories were changed to comply with EU regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the reply. My first full licence dates back to 1980/81, but somewhere along the line at a renewal it seems to have lost the motorbike part.

I would like to get it reinstated before I swap my licence for a French one later this year. I would like to leave my options open in case I get a runaround scooter for the summer. The traffic where I live gets mad with all the bloody tourists.

Has anybody got any ideas how to go about it? Don't forget it's almost impossible to conduct business with Irish Govt Dept from here by phone as the Lo-Call / Freephone numbers can't be dialled from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Jesus Hagar, your showing your age. :)

I know, by the time I get the licence sorted out I'll have a bus pass. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK once any part of a license is expired for 5 or maybe 10 years its gone. The only way to get it back is to resit the test.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Del2005 but I have had a continuous licence since May 1979, 2 provisionals followed by a full licence. I never allowed the licence to expire at any stage. I only realised the motorbike part was missing very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AFAIK, the only time you could get all classes on your license was before tests were introduced - way before 1979! Are you sure you ever had Class A on your license?

If you do the test in an automatic car, you are restricted to driving automatics. Why would this qualify you to drive a motorcycle?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement