Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which VW alloys to get with Golf?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

Hi

Quick Q - as I'm ordering a sportline in a few months I was wondering what alloys does everyone think look the best (I'm getting the pearl-effect black):

Zandvoorts (17" 5 spoke)
    Hockenheim (16" 6 spoke)
    Sovereign (17" 5 double-spoke)
    Performance (17" 8 spoke)
    Standard sportline (16" 8 spoke)

Any opinions would be welcome as I'm buying brand new and cannot for the life of me decide, at the moment I'm leaning towards the zandvoorts.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i don't know about any specific wheels for the golf but i have always felt that a chunky five spoke, minimum of 17" and if the car is black, maybe there's a wheel detailed in black. don't forget about audi rims.

how many doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the 5 spoke 17", the 16" 8 spokes are a bit common

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm going for 5 door - I've been looking around at golfs and I don't actually like the look of the 3 door at all, think the 5 looks much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

I think the GTI wheels are the best. I bet they're pricey though.
    golfgti21vz.th.jpg

i think the problem with the gti wheels is that they'll always look like you're driving a gti wannabe.
    the five door looks great in red but i'm not so sure if it will look alright in black. is the sportline lower than standard??

• Advertisement

the Sportline is 15mm lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The 18" GTI wheels are E398 inc VAT per wheel.

.... plus tyres?

my advice is set aside some money and get replicas from a wheel shop

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi

Quick Q - as I'm ordering a sportline in a few months I was wondering what alloys does everyone think look the best (I'm getting the pearl-effect black):

Zandvoorts (17" 5 spoke)
    Hockenheim (16" 6 spoke)
    Sovereign (17" 5 double-spoke)
    Performance (17" 8 spoke)
    Standard sportline (16" 8 spoke)

Any opinions would be welcome as I'm buying brand new and cannot for the life of me decide, at the moment I'm leaning towards the zandvoorts.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

I think some of alloys in these photos look nice, not sure what they are called though:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=299798

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=402833

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438434

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=434923

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's obviously just down to personal taste, but I prefer the rims with loads of spokes, rather than just 5 or so.

Saw these ones on eBay:
    One, Two

This guy seems to have alloys with black detailing.

I did a bit of digging around, and the alloys on eBay seem to be a lot cheaper than the ones over here. I could have saved a couple hundred euros on my rims easy, if I had had the patience to order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I like the ones from the r32. Though I,m not sure if they will fit it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd rather buy non VW wheels after market. Much better selection, will look better and probably better value too.

FX Meister wrote:
    I'd rather buy non VW wheels after market. Much better selection, will look better and probably better value too.

as i have posted previously, and i hate to repeat myself but in my observation, the best wheels to suit german cars in general are the oem wheels. on german cars, the boy racers use branded alloys, the car buffs use oem. i did have an A4 with OZ wheels however.

agreed with Cantdecide there, non OEM or non German wheels just look wrong. not sure why but they just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

colm_mcm wrote:
    agreed with Cantdecide there, non OEM or non German wheels just look wrong. not sure why but they just do.

Yeah, but you can pick up after-market replicas for as good price as I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

colm_mcm wrote:
    .... plus tyres?

Oh yeh! It would cost €2,200 in or around altogether with good tyres. And VW charge €800 for the lot. Bargain.

cantdecide wrote:
    as i have posted previously, and i hate to repeat myself but in my observation, the best wheels to suit german cars in general are the oem wheels. on german cars, the boy racers use branded alloys, the car buffs use oem. i did have an A4 with OZ wheels however.
    I wouldn't entirely agree. I've seen VW cars with non OEM wheels look a lot better than any of the OEM wheels.
    OEM and looks cack
    dscn3422.jpg
    Non OEM and looks sweet
    magolfforum5hw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭conor_mc

In fairness, that Mk IV with the non-OEM alloys does look rather tasty.....

the lowered suspension helps a lot

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote:
    In fairness, that Mk IV with the non-OEM alloys does look rather tasty.....
    It also has R32 bumpers which look good, they're OEM of course.

Advertisement