Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on damaged cars ?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a car from a mate of mine up north that he had a crash in and just wondering if the damage would be taken into account when they decide the VRT liability on it (considering they calculate the VRT as a percentage of the market value and the market value of a damaged car would be a lot less) ?

It's an alfa GT with just front bodywork but no engine/chasis damage and the brother looked at it and said that it could be fixed up relatively easily for not a lot. Considering the price it's being sold for is 10K sterling I reckon it's a bargain !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VRT will indeed be lower, as the OMSP of a damaged car is lower. How much it will be - nobody will be able to tell you except the VRT office

Ring them and ask how to proceed. Are pictures of the damaged car good enough for them, or do they need to physically inspect the car

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

wouldnt guarntee it being cheaper im afraid. Lots of guys used to remove the bumpers from their cars coming in from japan before driving to the VRT office

Guys in the office said 'ah jaysus thats terrible ill have to give you a lower price'

guy drives off and screws bumper back on

VRT soon caught onto this

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

As far as I know, they won't take this state of the car into account. It's the market value of that model, year & spec, and that's pretty much that.

I could be wrong though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

No theres no change, and it wont be any lower.

As was stated above its just their book OMSP of that particular make and model that they charge. The state of the car is not taken into account.

If it was sure you'd have people importing wrecks every day, paying lower VRT, doing them up and selling them. This doesnt happen and a high volume of jap cars coming in arrive damaged in some way anyway and this does not affect the VRT paid on them in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

You could try giving them a ring but in my experience they never answer the f***ing phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The logic would be: If you're registering the car, then it must be roadworthy, therefore you get hit for the full whack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

An Alfa GTwill be expensive to fix up. The reason is that you will likey have to get all new parts as it will be hard to get second hand so they willbe very expensive.

Customs will not give anything off for damage - they know you got it cheaper than an undamaged example.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The VRT will be paid when the car is registered, as opposed to when it's imported.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OMSP = open market selling price. Surely this should be affected by accident damage/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

unkel wrote:
    VRT will indeed be lower, as the OMSP of a damaged car is lower. How much it will be - nobody will be able to tell you except the VRT office

Ring them and ask how to proceed. Are pictures of the damaged car good enough for them, or do they need to physically inspect the car

Speaking from experience, this won't be the case. I had to clear a car which needed a new full quarter panel, door and a few other bits. Brought photos of the car down to them, the quote I got was full price. I was told there and then that there were no factors that would drive the price downwards, only upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I thought they only inspected for matching numbers etc., and to see if it's loaded with options such as A/C which will increase the VRT.
    I would be very surprised if they did an inspection to reduce the VRT ;)

digitaldr, I tried ringing my local VRO while I was sitting in their waiting area, and no,
    they do not answer the phone :rolleyes:

kdevitt wrote:
    I was told there and then that there were no factors that would drive the price downwards, only upwards.

Even if the car is undriveable? Seems unfair to me if there is no reduction. Then again it would be fairly costly to set up a system to assess the damages (establish the OMSP of the damaged car)

This is interesting BTW. You don't need to pay VRT on a damaged car until it is roadwoarthy:

s79: This section excludes from the requirement to be registered and to pay VRT vehicles that the Revenue Commissioners
    consider are not capable of being mechanically propelled such as vehicles that are crashed, damaged or otherwise
    incomplete to such an extent that they cannot be driven. The effect of the amendment is that such vehicles will have to be
    registered and VRT paid only when they are suitably repaired

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    This is interesting BTW. You don't need to pay VRT on a damaged car until it is roadwoarthy:
    You can't drive a non roadworthy car though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I got through to a very helpful lady in Tallaght this morning (at 10.30 Santrys number was saying "we are closed for lunch between 12.30 and 2.00 :rolleyes: ) and she said that the examiner who checks the car for the final VRT amount can lower the quote by up to 15% at his discretion based on the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

digitaldr wrote:
    You could try giving them a ring but in my experience they never answer the f***ing phone!

similar experiences when ringing Dept of Environment....civil servants! lunch from 12:30 to 2:00. close at 4:00 (or something like that), pensions coming out their ears..... i think we're all missing out on one cushy number....

she said that the examiner who checks the car for the final VRT amount can lower the quote by up to 15% at his discretion based on the damage.

Not much, but better than nothing I suppose. Now it would be great if someone found an official link somewhere

I would be surprised if there is any written info about it available - my last trawl through the online VRT information revealed very little.

kbannon wrote:
    I would be surprised if there is any written info about it available - my last trawl through the online VRT information revealed very little.

Yeah, you're probably right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Just on unkel's post about the damaged cars, would you be able to import a 29 year old car with the alternator or other part taken out, only fix it shortly after it's turned 30 years old and only have to pay the flat VRT rate for classics?

If it is not on the road (irrespective of age) then registration is not required, so yes you could get an almost classic and keep it until it matures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Squirrel wrote:
    Just on unkel's post about the damaged cars, would you be able to import a 29 year old car with the alternator or other part taken out, only fix it shortly after it's turned 30 years old and only have to pay the flat VRT rate for classics?

From what I've been told, once you bring a foreign registered car into the country, you'd have to get it certified by the gardai as being off the road in order to avoid having to register and pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I got some money back from the vrt office for engine work (which existed undetected before VRT'ing the car) but you need to pay first and appeal within 2 months

I would recommend appealing EVERY vrt figure especially if you can find an equiv. car for sale cheaper than OMSP.

Advertisement