Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Council examination for foreign trained dentists.

Options
  • 12-06-2006 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am trying to register here in Ireland as a dentist. I was studying in Ukraine, so I have to pass the Dental Council examination before regestering. I will be glad to hear from the dentists who already passed this exam or in the process of preparation to it. Otherwise, I will be very grateful if anybody could give me an advise on the suitable books on general and oral anatomy, microbiology, physiology, patology, biochemistry, pharmacology and clinical dentistry.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I don't know anything about the Irish exams for foreign dentists. All I know is that there is a bench test which involves cutting cavities and crown preps and some other things.

I just passed my finals and the books that I used were:
    Pickard's Manual of Operative Dentistry
    Caries by Edwina Kidd
    Cawson and O'Dell - Oral Pathology
    Use Netter's anatomy for gross and use A.R. Tencate for Oral Development and anatomy
    Use Samaranayake for Oral Microbiology
    Use Carranza for periodontics (you will need to supplement heavily with published articles)
    For fixed prostho I like Dr. O'Sullivan's (he's a member of staff in the Dublin Dental Hospital) book on Fixed Prostho from Quintessence (it's kind of a revision book)
    Removable prostho couldn't tell you just one McCracken is good for partials and Davenport for full dentures.
    Welbury for Paedo and Mitchell for Ortho.
    Endo use pathways to the pulp or there is also a quintessence revision book.
    I can't think of any more right now. If I do I'll repost. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Inna

Thank you very much for giving me good advise on nesessary books. I in turn do not know anything about the bench test, but something similar will be on the Dental Council exam: cavities restorations and/or crown preparation. Any dentist who studied outside EU and wants to apply for full registration in the Register of Dentists in Ireland must sit this exam. Basically it consists of two parts. First is the application of basic sciences to dentistry and has three papers: one in General and Oral Anatomy; second in Physiology and Biochemistry and third in Pathology, Microbiology and Pharmacology, each for 3 hours. The second part of the exam is in few month time after first and includes all aspects of Restorative Dentistry and will be for 3 hours in total.
    At the moment I am looking for the books that will be needed for the first part of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 putane

hi Inna,
    am sure by now u would have passed ur full registration dental exam in ireland and hoping u must be a successfull dental practisiner, pls guide me how to go about taking these exams and the books required and abt passed paper.i am planning to take up this exam this year i finished my BDS in india. pls guide me i would be looking forward with ur reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 almyla

Inna wrote: »
    Thank you very much for giving me good advise on nesessary books. I in turn do not know anything about the bench test, but something similar will be on the Dental Council exam: cavities restorations and/or crown preparation. Any dentist who studied outside EU and wants to apply for full registration in the Register of Dentists in Ireland must sit this exam. Basically it consists of two parts. First is the application of basic sciences to dentistry and has three papers: one in General and Oral Anatomy; second in Physiology and Biochemistry and third in Pathology, Microbiology and Pharmacology, each for 3 hours. The second part of the exam is in few month time after first and includes all aspects of Restorative Dentistry and will be for 3 hours in total.
    At the moment I am looking for the books that will be needed for the first part of the exam.

Hi Inna,

I am from FTD from Ukraine,too. Did you pass these exams? What books did you use and how long time it took for the preparation?
    my email is : <snip>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi lamyla, this thread is 6 years old, also the original poster hasnt logged in since then.

Can you create a new thread for this and ask the questions you have?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement