Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis aircon filter

Options
  • 12-06-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey all

I have a 05 toyota avensis with air conditioning (not climate control) anyhoo I think it needs a new filter cos there is an awful dusty smell when the aircon is switched on.

I had the car serviced a couple of months ago, they had no filters at the time, but the guy told me they only cost a nominal fee (less that 20 euro that means in my book) and I could get it done at a later stage. I wasnt bothered at the time cos the weather was freezing.

I rang back the other day and they are now telling me its 90 euro for the filter which I think is a bit much. Has anyone here had any experience with Avensis aircon filters, should they cost that much?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jessop1 wrote:
    Hey all

I have a 05 toyota avensis with air conditioning (not climate control) anyhoo I think it needs a new filter cos there is an awful dusty smell when the aircon is switched on.

I had the car serviced a couple of months ago, they had no filters at the time, but the guy told me they only cost a nominal fee (less that 20 euro that means in my book) and I could get it done at a later stage. I wasnt bothered at the time cos the weather was freezing.

I rang back the other day and they are now telling me its 90 euro for the filter which I think is a bit much. Has anyone here had any experience with Avensis aircon filters, should they cost that much?

Thanks in advance :)

I am guessing that you don't use your air conditioning that often?

If so then the smell you are getting may be bacteria that has built up in the filter.

I was told by a guy working in a refrigeration company to try this. You can buy an air conditioning cleaner or something in a small gas canistor, not sure how much it costs. Halfords may sell it. All you do is put the canistor in the car, have all the windows and doors closed, put the air conditioning on cold with full power, open the canistor and the gas will fill the car for about 5/10 mins and then clear. Obviously don't be in the car yourself while this goes on. :)

Haven't had the need to try this myself however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Exactly right. This is caused by the lack of use of the aircon. You really need to use it every week at least, even if its not necessary. I had the same problem. I know about different remedies such as Bazz has suggested and others like boiling kettles of water for a few hours in the passenger footwell. All that I know is that the smell disappeared after a couple of days of aircon use, and I use it more frequently ever since, and now theres no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The filter shouldn't cost that much. they're simple to fit anyway, you just unhook the glovebox and let it fall down. the aircon filter can be simply pulled straight out, and replaced.

Filter should be under €20. sounds like they want to charge you for an hours labour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

I had the same problem with my A/C,so i bought a can of that stuff from halfords(nottingham)(not sure if its on sale here?),i folllowed the instructions on the can & it DID work for about a year but now the smell is back:mad: .
    ps i don't use the A/C very much,so thats where my problem lies.;)

the usual symptom that suggests an Avensis needs a new filter is nearly no air flow (presume you mean pollen filter)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

Hmmm.... I never thought it could be caused by undeuse, but you could have a point.... I used the aircon daily all last summer and into the winter a bit but I did stop using it for a couple of months alright... I'll give that a try with the can o stuff from halfords.. anyone know what kind of lifespan I should expect from the aircon filter and are there any other aircon parts that need to be replaced after regular use?

Thanks a mil for your help people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Aircon filter, I didn't know they had one. I assume my camry's would be in the same place, behind the glove box?
    Sorry for butting in OP.

Shouldn't be any problem with an 05. Pollen filter should be changed at around 45,000 kms. but mileage doesn't exactly relate to usage so there's no rule of thumb. Camry's is also behind glove box AFAIK. and is a really simple job.

I wouldn't use any of those cans from Halfords, go to your Toyota dealer first, as the car is still under warranty. I've never heard of a new shape Avensis' system needing disinfecting. Most likely the pollen filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

Thanks again colm :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Bacteria breeding in the moisture that forms on the evaporator is the usual cause for a stink.
    Also, it is possible the evaporator drain is plugged and not drianing properly. take the ca for a drive with the AC on full, then on your return home, leave it full on and ideling, check for water dripping out underneath the back of the engine somewhere, If no water after 10 min of operation. Then you have a plugged drain. Easy to remedy, if you can get at it.

Forgot; To get rid of the stink, remove the filter, turn the AC fan up to max and spray neat Lysol or Dettol into the intake so it passed over the bugs on the evaporator. then just let it vent.
    Works for me.
    And use the AC more often.

Teh filter is probably a HEPA filter, which normally cost more than a std air filter, but $80 is a bit much, just inflation. Get an aftermarket one.
    Don;t know if you can wash it or not. But try rincing it in clean warm water and letting it dry, see how it responds.

• Advertisement

very unusual to happen on an 05 though, I'd still say bring it to a dealer first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

While on the subject of AC, my camry has an Ac and econ button, I always assumed the econ was just a 'cheaper' way of using the AC, less diesel usage, am I correct.

dubtom wrote:
    While on the subject of AC, my camry has an Ac and econ button, I always assumed the econ was just a 'cheaper' way of using the AC, less diesel usage, am I correct.

on Jap cars, the Econ button usually disengages the Aircon and switches the air position to fresh air

on some cars it sends the air through the already cold evaporator coils without fully running the system.

Advertisement