Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraception queries

Options
  • 12-06-2006 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi! I've been going out with my boyfriend for a few years now and we've decided that we both feel ready to have sex now. I'm going away at the end of July for four months, but we would like to have sex before I head off!

This is where the dilemma starts. I know I could start taking the pill at the start of my next period, but would I have to continue taking it while on holidays when I won't need it? Or does anyone know if it would be heard of to take the pill for just one month and then start taking it again a few months later when I come home again? I dunno if I wanna start getting the side effects of the pill while I'm on holidays!

Have any of you guys ever been in this situation before or have any words of wisdom to offer?

Incidentally, where can you buy the female condom?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Don't even think about getting the female condom! especially for your first time, they are difficult to use and if you've never had sex before then you should stick to something simple.
    The pill will mess with your system if you take it for a month and then stop, firstly you have to take it for a full month before it becomes fully effective only on the second month is it considered safe. But mostly you have to remember that the pill is affecting your hormone levels so you do have to be careful in the way that you take it.
    Your best bet here is condoms, get a few different types so that you can play around and see what suits you both best.

Have fun!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

It takes a while for the pill to get into your system and it takes longer for it to get out (though that usually depends on you being on it a while).

It can affect females quite differently and you may not find one that suits you for a while and might have to try many different ones.

the side effects while trying to find one that is suitable can do things like add weight, decrese sex drive (so on it you might not want to have sex at all and is not what you want!), increase vaginal dryness (so your first time could be very hard) etc etc.

While on the pill, using condoms is also advisable for STDs etc (I know you have been going out for a long time but there are lots of unknown carriers), so if you dont want to use condoms in combination with the pill, both of you should get checked.

I would also suggest condoms, rather than the pill or the femidom.

It would be unusual for some female to take the pill for one month and stop it, only to start again. You usually would have to take it for a while to see if it suits (I used get presecribed them in 3 month batches, so that they would get into my system enough to see if they suited, and if they didnt at the end of the 3 months it would be changed to something else for 3 months and so on.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

The pill will mess with your system if you take it for a month and then stop, firstly you have to take it for a full month before it becomes fully effective only on the second month is it considered safe.

That's not true re second month before pill works. Encourage your boyfriend to buy some condoms and if you want added protection, go and see your GP and get yourself on a low-dose pill for a month or two. Fair play for being responsible and hope you have lots of fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.thinkcontraception.ie/

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html

There are a lot of options out there the best thing for you to do is make an appointment with your gp or maybe the ifpa dr and have a talk about what you
    contraceptions needs are and what is best for you, your health and your lifestyle.

The oral contraceptive pill is not suitible for everyone and does have some serious sideeffects and there are many differing types of oral contraceptive and it can take a while to find one that can works with your body.

There are other options, the patch and Nuvaring for example.

Read the above links arm yourself with information and talk to your dr.

And you would be best using a method of personal contraception in conjunction with condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think I might head in to the Irish Family Planning Clinic on Cathal Brugha Street and see what they say. I presume it's ok to make an appointment with them just for a general chat about my options?!

Have pretty much decided to leave off going on the pill until I get home again so will most likely use condoms in the meantime, but would still feel happier talking to a professional about it I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

:) Go with your gut, for peace of mind talk to the professionals
    Thaedydal's advice and links are great.

Best of luck and ENJOY!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Thats what the Family Planning Clinic is there for. To listen to what you want and advise you on whats best. Not shove what they think is best down your throat like some GP's.

Best of luck, and most of all enjoy and relax :)

Advertisement