Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fanta is not good for laptops

Options
  • 11-06-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

my friend had a little accident and managed to spill fanta into the air intakes on the bottom of his laptop last night. Its an iqon laptop if that helps you get an idea of the problem.

Now i wanna know will this be covered by the warranty or if theres a way of getting it fixed. or if the laptop is totally fecked.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

this is what they call in a standard warrenty as "customer misuse". one of the clauses in the warrenty. looks like you will have to do a diy fix on it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

is this easily done?

if he took it to a computer repair company would it be a big/expensive job?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

If you have all risks on your household policy the fact that the accident occured in the house the laptop should be covered for repair or replacement. Contact your insurance company and see what they require. I recently spilled a litre of milk on my Laptop which is not recommended. As it turned out it was uneconomic to repair. All I had to do was supply a letter from a recognised computer repair company stating that it was uneconomic to repair, together with a quotation for replacement. As it happened I got a full claim less my excess of €100. I would say the laptop is a write-off.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm, my sister once managed to completely douse her phone in water.

Apparently it too was "uneconomic to repair", so she got her new phone, but fiddled with the old one every now and then. One day, about a year later, she tried it and it turned on. I'm wondering if the same might not happen with a laptop with a bit of juice in it. Once it essentialy "dries itself out" would it work again? o_O

Computers are mystical devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mr pharmacist

go the insurance route.
    simply a matter of getting a letter from a computer repair place or shop and send it to the insurance company.
    thats assuming you have house insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

go the insurance route.
    simply a matter of getting a letter from a computer repair place or shop and send it to the insurance company.
    thats assuming you have house insurance.

Yep I agree......having just got off the phone to AXA who are arranging for the collection of my Inspiron 9200....post coffee spillage - providing you have 'all risks', it should be covered.

Man, I have to tell you the Dell's are great entertainment when they go.....flames from the base & everything !!!, house stinks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

CuLT wrote:
    Once it essentialy "dries itself out" would it work again? o_O

Computers are mystical devices.
    They do have a shut-down protection for that type of thing, if it gets a chance to kick in before anythings blown.

I poured a pint of water over a Toshiba, the glass hadn't landed on the keyboard yet and the thing had turned itself off.

Left it lying in what looked like a good drying position and it worked perfectly the next day, and for the 3 years since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

CuLT wrote:
    Apparently it too was "uneconomic to repair".

You probably mean BER or 'beyond economical repair'.

Advertisement