Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP disk..

Options
  • 11-06-2006 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've been wondering about this for a while but never really bothered to check it out. The Dells that are coming out these days have XP installed and all the usual what-not, but what happens if you want to reinstall XP, it doesnt come with a disk!

Anyone know what you have to do to get one?

Thanks

- Idgeitman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You can recover from the hidden partition on the HDD. You can usually burn a copy to CD/DVD. Alternatively, purchase discs from Dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

ahh right, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

or even try out the new Vista Beta they are giving out the iso images for free at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

free? sounds good =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Idgeitman wrote:
    free? sounds good =)

Free but time limited and should not be used as a primary OS as obviously it is a beta and prone to bugs, compatibility issues and lack of driver support.

It is also possible to create a proper XP installation CD from the i386 folder on your HD that is if Dell have left it there, usually found in the Windows folder.

Though if the bundle-ware of the Dell that is what bothers you [it's also present in the recovery image] the Dell De-Crapifier is worth using to purge any of the Dell extras from the operating system & save yourself a re-install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Or just ask me for the knew disk :) but yeah the recovery partitions are handy sometimes, other times there a complete f****r@!

Advertisement