Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the most needed law reforms?

Options
  • 11-06-2006 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭

What are the most needed law reforms?

Obviously land as indicated below, sexual offence, alcohol, road / traffic law (see my other thread) and the criminal justice and transport acts from the 19th century.. While people would like planning law changed, much of the legislation is relatively new. It would also be nice to remove historical acts that no longer apply, if nothing else for the sake of clarity.

Any more suggestions?

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/8230094?view=Eircomnet
    New land laws will cut costs of buying, selling
    Saturday, 10th June, 2006

THE cost of buying and selling property is expected to drop when new land laws come into effect.

The land law reform legislation published yesterday will remove outdated sections of law - some dating back to the 13th century.

The bill will allow for the transfer of property or conveyancing to be done by computer and thereby reduce the legal costs of property transactions.

Far-reaching reform

The legislation was described by Justice Minister Michael McDowell as the "single most comprehensive and far-reaching reform of the law in this area since the foundation of the State".

Outdated legal references in current legislation such as "feudal tenure" and "Crown lands" will finally be removed.

Moreover, the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Bill 2006 will modernise and streamline the law.

It will repeal up to 150 statutes dating back before 1922. These will be replaced with more modern sections.

"Removing archaic laws dating back to the Normans and replacing them with provisions more suited to modern conditions will reduce delays encountered in buying and selling property as well as the costs involved," the minister said.

The legislation was drafted on foot of a recommendation from the Law Reform Commission and the commission was heavily involved in writing the bill.

The head of the LRC said this was a unique and historic development.

Supreme Court judge Justice Catherine McGuinness said the development of the legislation was "lightning fast" as the examination of the issue only began in 2003.

The debate on the legislation will begin in the Seanad within a fortnight.

Fionnan Sheahan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Protection of the Environment Act 2003 needs to be murdered. It is the worst drafted piece of legislation in the world, and even purports to amend a non-existant section of a different act, I forget which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

When are the new land law reforms due to be introduced?

If land prices are due to fall as a result, I expect also in 2007 when the new building regulations are introduced with a major upgrade of the laws concerning thermal insulation, then prices of old concrete bock houses with oil fired boilers are going to drop in price considerably, especially after 2010 when oil production is expecting to plateau and a 2 to 3% drop in oil production year on year is about to kick in.

Land reforms, building regulations and oil shortages, I reckon are going to have a massive effect on old and poorly built housing with high thermal losses, and the new building regulations planned in 2007 which are going to spearhead timber frame construction with low loss or zero loss technologies combined with geothermal and solar, will also possibly mean a higher rate of demolition and rebuilding of badly built overly large concrete block, oil fired houses.

This may spur on the building industry, not only to build new reg housing on new plots but also rebuilds on existing sites.

New expectations of heating bills around the 500 to 1000 annum will be targeted instead of the usual spending of 2,000 to 3,000 per year in the many oversized, concrete built houses so often the norm in the recent building explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭maidhc

If land prices are due to fall as a result, I expect also in 2007 when the new building regulations are introduced with a major upgrade of the laws concerning thermal insulation, then prices of old concrete bock houses with oil fired boilers are going to drop in price considerably, especially after 2010 when oil production is expecting to plateau and a 2 to 3% drop in oil production year on year is about to kick in.

Agricultural land has gone up by 7k/acre in the first 5 mths of the year, so don't be expecting bargains. Oilfired boiler can easily be replaced with wood pellet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If land prices are due to fall as a result
    No, its the cost of doing the transaction that is expected to fall. The cost of land will stay the same or even marginally increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The rules of hearsay needs to badly reformed. Its the epitome of confusing, over complex and unnecessary legality. It often serves to exclude the most relevant evidence in a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Although a minor issue, the postal acceptance rule needs to be abolished. The House of Lords recognised it as an anomaly in Entores v. Miles but refused to abolish it (in english law), as it was too deeply ingrained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Sangre wrote:
    The rules of hearsay needs to badly reformed. Its the epitome of confusing, over complex and unnecessary legality. It often serves to exclude the most relevant evidence in a trial.

Agree but also disagree, integrity needs to be maintained and that can never be 100% guaranteed.

From a professional point of view the Public order act, law act, justice act and the theft act need to be sorted out. Can hold a dealer for 7 days but a murderer for 12 hours?????

On a personal note, family law needs to be completely abolished and re thought. I find it personally offensive that I have zero rights cause I was jilted at the alter and (if I do say so myself) Im a good father whereas a married prick gets access to kids that would be better off without him.

Advertisement