Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital care

Options
  • 11-06-2006 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where else to post this, sooo .... :D

What is the difference between going public or private (or semi-private) in a hospital. Does this refer to the medical care, ie. you get a private doctor of your choice as opposed to whoever's available or to general care like having a private room as agaisnt a ward?

And no, I'm not expecting to need hospitalisation. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

THe main difference is the reduced waiting times, know someone who was diagnosed with cancer and would have had to wait 6 months for treatment as a public patient and was treated imediatly as a private patient, 2 days. This was 10 years ago so things might have improved since.

Also you have a choice of hospital and consultant. I would fully recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I work as a part-time caterer in a hosptal. The difference I notice is

1. Instead of six-to-a-room there are five.
    2. There is a bathroom and shower in the room.
    3. There is more choice of meals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

As far as I know it refers to the standard of accomodation plus you may get treated faster than a public patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Depends on the Situation.

If its an acute illness you will be treated the same as a public patient in public wards going through the A&E System. Your Healthcare insurer will be charged for some of the cost though. You may get access to a room with a couple of beds if available.

If its elective surgery then yes you will be seen faster and will have a better room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Just from talking to some of my friends who have become doctors. A lot of them say that you are worse off with a private care hospital, because the doctors don't get to see the same volume of cases as they would in a public hospital. This doesn't apply to the situation where a public and private hospital are linked together. e.g. mater public and mater private, but to the case of stand-alone private hospitals.

Have been into the Mater Private, and it is seriously amazing. Thought i was going into a five-star hotel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement