Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

betting question...

Options
  • 10-06-2006 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭

ok i just wanted to ask a question... but didn't know where to put this thread. i won 80 euro today on bettin on the world cup, i plan to bet 130 euro on the 3 world cup games tomorrow and i was wondering if anybody knows anything about the bets that carry on... like if i put 130 on holland to win and if they won my winnings and the original money would be placed onto the name game and if then mexico won the money would be carried on to the next game and portugal win ... i was wondering is there such thing as this? can i do it all in one bet...? will they give me better odds than the current ones.. which are just over evens ... average of 4/7 on the bets tomorrow... thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Your best bet would be an accumulator (treble) - Holland Portugal and Mexico all to win. a 130euro treble would return 504euro on Paddy Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

im not too bothered about lettin the 130 go as i just started with 50 so if i lost i'd only feel like losing 50. i dont get that calculator though... this is how i was thinking...

Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 130
    Total Stake: 130
    Return: 204.29
    204.39 + 130 = 339.339

Single
    Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 339.39
    Total Stake: 339.39
    Return: 533.33

533.33 + 339.39 = 872.72

Single
    Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 872.72
    Total Stake: 872.72
    Return: 1371.42

1371.42+872.72 = 2244.14 ....

i was thinking along the lines of that? or am i missing something... it would be nice to have 2244 euros coming into day 4 of the world cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Evolution136

im not too bothered about lettin the 130 go as i just started with 50 so if i lost i'd only feel like losing 50. i dont get that calculator though... this is how i was thinking...

Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 130
    Total Stake: 130
    Return: 204.29
    204.39 + 130 = 339.339

Single
    Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 339.39
    Total Stake: 339.39
    Return: 533.33

533.33 + 339.39 = 872.72

Single
    Price 1 4/7 win
    Unit Stake: 872.72
    Total Stake: 872.72
    Return: 1371.42

1371.42+872.72 = 2244.14 ....

i was thinking along the lines of that? or am i missing something... it would be nice to have 2244 euros coming into day 4 of the world cup!

Your unit stake is included in your return. e.g, when you have 130 @ 4/7 your return is 204.29 not 339.339 as you've outlined. The same applies for the other examples. Your best bet is a treble as Bohsman has outlined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

oh thanks hmm ahh confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

ok i just wanted to ask a question... but didn't know where to put this thread. i won 80 euro today on bettin on the world cup, i plan to bet 130 euro on the 3 world cup games tomorrow and i was wondering if anybody knows anything about the bets that carry on... like if i put 130 on holland to win and if they won my winnings and the original money would be placed onto the name game and if then mexico won the money would be carried on to the next game and portugal win ... i was wondering is there such thing as this? can i do it all in one bet...? will they give me better odds than the current ones.. which are just over evens ... average of 4/7 on the bets tomorrow... thanks for the help

I love it when a plan comes together, I hope you placed your bet.....nice one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Culchie wrote:
    I love it when a plan comes together, I hope you placed your bet.....nice one !

I initially PM'd him with all the info he needed. I also discouraged him from placing the bet if he valued his €130. I told him ive got years of experience and that this bet would lose. Maybe my discouragment worked because he started going on about doing a trixie so if one lost etc.....

Whadda hell do i know:rolleyes: !

p.s
    Even though i was wrong i still think i was right in advising against this bet. Theres always something to do you in a treble with 3 short odds on selections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I initially PM'd him with all the info he needed. I also discouraged him from placing the bet if he valued his €130. I told him ive got years of experience and that this bet would lose. Maybe my discouragment worked because he started going on about doing a trixie so if one lost etc.....

Whadda hell do i know:rolleyes: !

p.s
    Even though i was wrong i still think i was right in advising against this bet. Theres always something to do you in a treble with 3 short odds on selections

hee hee Rounders, you should set yourself up with the Star, they always get it wrong as well.

Joking aside, trebles....the bookies love them.

btw, any sports betting really should be done on the betting exchanges, the diffference in price in nearly all the markets is quite incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Culchie wrote:

Joking aside, trebles....the bookies love them.

Bookies make all their money from trebles, yankees etc. Sinlge bets are somewhere around the break even mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ianmc38 wrote:
    Bookies make all their money from trebles, yankees etc. Siblge bets are somewhere around the break even mark.
    Mostly from the "forced bets" though.Where they hand out flyers and you have to pick a team from each section. They print the odds up the top which look great on paper, and people go right the way through down to the long odds harder to pick games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

ianmc38 wrote:
    Bookies make all their money from trebles, yankees etc. Siblge bets are somewhere around the break even mark.

I dont understand that. Do people get worse odds on non single bets? Do they tend to make worse bets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I dont understand that. Do people get worse odds on non single bets? Do they tend to make worse bets?

Not worse odds rather the chances of trebles, yankees etc winning are less likely than singles. Ok payouts are much more but returns on these are extremely low.

In the same way forecasts(1st and 2nd to finish in order) and Tricasts(1st 2nd and 3rd in order) on horse races are never going to return as frequent as punters placing singles.

An outright winner of a horse race/ football match isnt good enough for your average bookie punter. They want to win more by doing doubles, trebles and forecasts and in football correct score and first goalscorer in the same bet. The bread and butter for the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its just a function of maths really. If bookies have a 10% margin on every horse race or sports event, then theyll effectively have a margin of about 19% on every double, about 27% on trebles etc.

i.e. A 10 runner race with every horse 8/1 means for every 100 the bookies take in they'll give 90 back, margin roughly 10%.

Two such races and every punter does doubles : for every 1000 the bookie takes in they'll give back 810, margin roughly 19%.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But the other side of it is that people often dont want risk alot of money on a short odds single. For example, to put €100 on Celtic to win might only get you back €10 profit some weeks. And its going to be a big disappointment the one week they lose it.
    So just for the craic they stick a spare €5 on a few teams. Probably going to lose it, but its only a fiver and if they win its a big return.

I know the margin on doubles is nearly twice as much, but the amount placed to get the same return is less than half.

Advertisement