Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Q4

Options
  • 09-06-2006 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Got a laptop recently, hp5157, 1gbram, 128mb graphics card (Ati200m) which thought would be heaps for running games but quake4 fails when i try to run it. no error messages just returns to windows as it loads.
    Other games are working - C&C, far cry.
    anything obvious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you got DirectX9.0c installed and updated your drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 edmondo

yup - direct 9 was installed with the game. not sure about updating drivers?? restarted a few times after installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

if im right the 200m chipset does not support sm2 properly, and quake4 is sm2. or is it 3. well its either 2 or 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

im not that suprised tbh.

theres not a single graphics card on the market that will play Quake 4 on full settings, so that shows how demanding the engine is.

if you wanted to play Quake 4 multiplayer i would suggest playing Unreal Tournament 2004 instead, as its more popular and runs great on any pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 edmondo

Yeah lads, have learned a hell of a lot in the last week. one good link i came across is:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

not perfect as it tells me i shouldnt be able to run far cry (it runs perfect on full settings) but it should give a good idea esp for you guys who are well informed on the tech specs

• Advertisement
Advertisement