Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Arrangements

Options
  • 09-06-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    just sorting out some holiday arrangements and I was just wondering, if after agreeing to accomodation, buying flights, flying abroad, the landlord never collected the holidaymakers as they said they would, and they couldn't get through to the landlord, and even if they travelled to the location, the landlord wouldn't let them in. What rights would they have? What is the best way to avoid this situation and what is the best way to deal with it if it happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,323 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you did the arrangements, it is up to you to sue the landlord.

If you book through a travel agent or tour operator, they sort you out or you sue them, invoking their bond if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would booking proof be necessary to sue the landlord if booked straight through them? If this was in the form of e-mail, etc, would this suffice? Would there need to be a contract? Is it not just a case of inviting me into their store but refusing to serve me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Ava

the 2000 e-commerce recognises emails as an electronic signature. an offer can be accepted electronically under this legislation. section 19 or something like that?

That's great to know, thanks:) what about an MSN conversation:eek: ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Possible the oversea buying/purchase Act (year not known) would cover this but auctions and last minute 'bargain deals' are excluded.

This is from personal experience not professional. My thoughts need to be confirmed or corrected by those more knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

This is a simple contract issue, contracts can be made by simple offer and acceptance, such as by email. Problem in this case is the contract most likely will be governed by forgein law, the law of the place where the rental is. Under irish law you need to provide something of value to enforce (consideration). This would normally be a deposit.

Does a deposit have to be a certain % of the total cost or would 1c do for example? Where could one find out about different countries laws considering this? Take Spain for example, many Irish tourists, different language.

Advertisement