Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to break up but....

Options
  • 09-06-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well...I've been in a relationship for the last 3 years...and recently ive been feeling like i want to be on my own, i wont go into all the reasons but basically i've decided we should call it a day.

The only thing is, it's her birthday next week, should I break up with her before or after? I think I should wait until after but id really rather get it over and done with...and then to complicate things a little more we're going on holiday together with a group of friends next month so if im going to wait until after her birthday it'd have to be pretty soon after.
    To be honest, i really would rather do it sooner rather than later..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

badtiming wrote:
    Well...I've been in a relationship for the last 3 years...and recently ive been feeling like i want to be on my own, i wont go into all the reasons but basically i've decided we should call it a day.

The only thing is, it's her birthday next week, should I break up with her before or after? I think I should wait until after but id really rather get it over and done with...and then to complicate things a little more we're going on holiday together with a group of friends next month so if im going to wait until after her birthday it'd have to be pretty soon after.
    To be honest, i really would rather do it sooner rather than later..

To be honest no time is ever a good time whatever way you look at it. I broke up with a guy after 6 years just 2 days before his birthday, I held off before that because it was Christmas and just before that his grandfather had died - you could hang on forever making excuses as the timing seems off. If you know it's over, I can't really see any point in procrastinating the inevitable - no time is a good time. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

If you break up, will you be okay going on the holiday? Suppose I would wait til the holiday over to be honest but that's just me. Nothing like being straight with someone but be nice! Don't tell her anything she's done wrong specifically, minimise the fallout, and make sure she knows you still want to be friends, it doesn't get any easier the longer you wait. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As soon as possible is usually the best time if you really want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

well...i did it, she took it reasonably well i think...she got a little upset, then felt ok for a while and then got upset again....

she did bring up about it being her birthday next week but it was kind of in a joking manner saying i couldnt afford to get her a present (i already have it)

the holiday shouldnt be too big a deal, as i said there is a group going so at least we wont be alone together....just need to avoid ending up in bed together after a few drinks...

thank you all for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Best of luck with the holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

badtiming wrote:
    just need to avoid ending up in bed together after a few drinks...

What you talkin bout Willis? Break up sex? C'mon.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Everyone has bonus sex, it's inevitable. Try to leave off having it too soon though. Save it for when it's been a while. You know.

Advertisement