Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative energy for North-West homes ?...

Options
  • 09-06-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

We have a serious problem in the North-West, in relation to ESB costs and it's availability for both our homes, and business needs, as well as the cost of coal, oil, etc.

I am aware that the Government is promoting the idea that we consider, solar panels, and small windmill turbines, but there is very little information about the 'grant aid' that AFAIK is available to one and all.

In Donegal, we have very large energy producing windmills appearing all over, but this week I was told that local residents are having very serious problems, getting planning permission for small domestic windmills and even solar panels on roofs.

Is there anyone in the North-West who has the expertise, and is prepared to comment publicly in the best interest of Joe Public, as to what is available, grants, and reputable installers ?....or links to same!.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look at the Councils proposals for Natural Resource Development over the next 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

I can't wait to hear more responses to this question--as this is an issue that my husband and I feel strongly about, and would like to include in our building plans when we the time comes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy

There is a grant available for the installation of wood pellet burners, although i'm not sure of the exact figure. Regarding turbines, they are available for domestic use but if somebody applies for planning permission then they are open to objections like all other applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I can't wait to hear more responses to this question--as this is an issue that my husband and I feel strongly about, and would like to include in our building plans when we the time comes. :)

Yes, while I appreciate mufflers link, we need immediate guidance as to what help is avaiable right now, mufflers link to Donegal County Councils aspirations over a 5 year period is not what I am looking for, I will let their reputation speak for itself, and I for one have 'no faith' in anything they state.

We have a right to make use of alternative natural eco-friendly resource's today instead of being forced to use the old overpriced monopolie's.

Edit: Advising people to break the law is not acceptable - part of post removed

As I know of local home's who have cut their energy bills by over 50%, and they never applied to anyone for permission ;) .

Who owns this country anyway, if it is not the ordinary citizens ?....

Paddy20 wrote:
    Who owns this country anyway, if it is not the ordinary citizens ?....
    Paddy, the thread is about Alternative energy for North-West homes and in your first post you asked this " Is there anyone in the North-West who has the expertise, and is prepared to comment publicly in the best interest of Joe Public, as to what is available, grants, and reputable installers ?....or links to same!."

Very fair question to pose and when I offered some assistance it was dismissed out of hand. Other people here will find the link interesting I would imagine.

We only discussed the problems of posting off topic so what has the above comment about who owns the country got to do with the thread topic. If you want to start a revolution then dont let me stop you but while posting here keep on topic. Also no more advice either about encouraging people to break the law.

• Advertisement

Paddy,

That is the great thing about a facility like this. Anonymity. However, despite our individual anonymity, boards.ie cannot leave itself open to any legal threats and therefore, there is an element of censorship here. In my opinion, this is a reasonable price to pay for what is an informative, thought provoking site.

Chill Paddy.

Try this,

http://www.sei.ie/

Some good stuff on there.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Right it is clear that you have been on my back for some time, in whose interest I am not sure ?...

So, as a result I am taking a holiday from this forum for a Month.

Enjoy yourself.:mad: , and hiding behind the name muffler is not speaking publicly ?..

I only had you lined up for a weeks enforced holiday for persistant off thread comments and encouraging people to break the law. A month away will give you time to reappraise your posting habits.
    PM me in a week

Paddy20 banned for 1 week.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Here's a site selling wind turbines...
    I know of a guy who is apparently looking into selling turbines too, though I'm not fully sure if or when he'll start.

But, next time I'm chatting to him, I must find out further information as if he does partake in selling turbines, he'll be the first in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Per smashey's post, all the required info is in www.sei.ie, detailing the grants available for anyone who's thinking of renewable energy sources.

Fair play to the government for this initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There are other interesting posts on boards on the subject...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51511978
    Google is my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Solar panels in Donegal aren't going to work too well. Many of us have streams running down the back of the house - I've always wondered if they could be easily used to harness a small (but consistant) amount of energy. A correctly piped stream could probably harness a couple of hundred watts, and it moves at a fairly steady rate. That could probably take €80-€100 off each bill!

Still questionable whether it's worth the investment, but its a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Many of us have streams running down the back of the house /QUOTE]

Since I moved up to the big smoke I've discovered that the official name for these is "leaks".

Bring on the wind up radio next.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Since I moved up to the big smoke I've discovered that the official name for these is "leaks".
    ROFFLE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MysterFixIt

smashey wrote:
    Paddy

There is a grant available for the installation of wood pellet burners, although i'm not sure of the exact figure. Regarding turbines, they are available for domestic use but if somebody applies for planning permission then they are open to objections like all other applications.

Yes there are several VERY generous grants available for various sorts of installation. A central heating system using wood pellets gets a €4200 grant. See Sustainable Energy Ireland for full details and application forms etc. www.sei.ie

I have a blog on wood pellet heating, or rather on the abuses of the grant by the price gougers, Have a look:

http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Paddy,

Very fair question to pose and when I offered some assistance it was dismissed out of hand. Other people here will find the link interesting I would imagine.

muffler,

Fair comment, but as I have not for a number of reasons read your link as yet. Please do not feel that I have dismissed it, on the contrary, as you posted it I will be giving it my full attention, and if I make disparaging remarks about our local authority, please do not in future misconstrue them as a 'personal attack' on you.

Advertisement