Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a path for the wrong reason.

Options
  • 09-06-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Hello again everybody,

A thought occurred to me that I thought I may be able to ask here. I am not knowledgable (thats a hard word to spell) in the Buddhist teachings, so please forgive me if its a stupid question.

Basically, what I have been wondering is: Do you think it is possible for a person to choose a path (ie, Buddhism) for the wrong reasons? If a person is fearful of the unknown, or fearful of certain elements of life and is of the belief that a particular path can help ease that fear, would that be considered a bad reason or a wrong reason to begin that journey?
    When I say fear, I dont mean in the traditional sense, as in afraid of monsters etc. I mean fear for your inner self, and the future of your inner self. Fear of a lack of knowledge as to what happens to us after death. Fear for humanity generally and the crushing sense of a lack of morals and empathy in many aspects of modern society, and also a more selfish fear such as fear of harm coming to those you love, or losing those you love. Is it wrong to want to ease the fear of what lies ahead for our loved ones after death?
    I am worried that if a path is chosen for the wrong reasons, that ultimately it could lead to destruction.
    Do you have any opionions on this?
    thanks as always. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fear and doubt are one of the first things we must throw off or we'll make no progress. They're welcome to choose that path, but I think they would not get very far that way.
    Vicikiccha, sceptical doubts, is one of the 5 hindrances
    As is restlessness&worry.

Equanimity and tranquility should be aimed for.

So I would say it is a bad reason, particularly if they hold on to it. If they overcome it and move on from there by following the path, so much the better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for the reply Bluewolf. I'll read up on what you've mentioned over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Archeron wrote:
    Do you think it is possible for a person to choose a path (ie, Buddhism) for the wrong reasons? If a person is fearful of the unknown, or fearful of certain elements of life and is of the belief that a particular path can help ease that fear, would that be considered a bad reason or a wrong reason to begin that journey?

I think there are some examples in Buddhist history of people who started on the path for the very "wrong reasons", but who then developed "the good reasons" very quickly.;)

The great Tibetan master Milarepa was said to start practicing because he was so afraid of death and what would happen to him since he was a thief and a murderer.
    He overcame his fears, though, and is the one known of saying when he met some monsters (a picture symbolizing the monsters in our mind) in his cave:

""It is wonderful you demons came today. You must come again tomorrow. From time to time, we should converse."
    (...)

It's like inviting what scares us to introduce itself and hang around for a while (..) Then we develop the wisdom and compassion to communicate sanely with the threats and fears of our daily life", the Tibetan teacher Pema Chödrön writes in her article on the topic: Working with Uncertainty :

"The Tibetan yogini Machig Labdron was one who fearlessly trained with this view (...): "Approach what you find repulsive, help the ones you think you cannot help, and go to places that scare you." This begins when we sit down to meditate and practice not struggling with our own mind."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I know very little (if anything) about the specific teachings of Buddhism, however I personally feel that if you're trying to improve who you are and how you interact with the world around you, is there ever a "bad" reason for doing so?

I think "monsters" are completely human, and it's a completely rationale and forgivable thing to want to rid ourselves of them. Therefore, I think that if you're trying to do this in a peaceful and unharmful way to those around you, how could your actions possibly be wrong?

Put another way, we are all motivated by something. Some by money, some by lust, some by fame, some by success. I personally see the end result of those pursuits less satisfying than inner peace, joy in your life and honest happiness. And bluewolf is right in saying that fear and doubt must be overcome, but how else can you do that except by beginning such a journey as you're proposing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Yeah, I think you're probably right in what you are writing. Maybe we shouldn't distinguish so much between "right" and "wrong" reasons.

And wanting to be happy is a good and totally legal reason, anyway.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Ayla wrote:
    I know very little (if anything) about the specific teachings of Buddhism, however I personally feel that if you're trying to improve who you are and how you interact with the world around you, is there ever a "bad" reason for doing so?
    That is a 5 star answer Ayla, and was also said i think by Bluewolf.
    I believe that there can never be a bad reason to take up Buddhism because once on the journey, the reason for you being on that path change. I am not talking about the original fears here as they are a personal challenge that automaticall change as you progress. I believe that the one big fear we all share and that drives the greater majority of us if fear of the unknown and that we are not really important in the great scheme of things.

IMO It really does not matter why you started something, what matters is that you fight your inner nature to stick with it and as a result you learn, thereby, you grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

No matter what the reasons one would have for wanting to be a better person, it can start out as one thing and end up something totally new; it can only be good thing IMO. To want inner change for the betterment of yourself and those around you is something we should all look for in this life.

Karma is something we cannot hide from and over time you will work yours out, debts will be paid and we will learn and move on.

Who knows maybe you’re ‘sleeping Buddha’ is awakening in this life...

With Metta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks all for those answers everyone. I appreciate it.

god's toy: I just looked up "metta" in Wiki as I'd never heard the phrase before. I really like that, and its something I would love to put into practice.

Advertisement