Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have anybody ever heard of necronomicon

Options
  • 09-06-2006 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all,

Has anybody ever heard about the fifty names or spirits of necronomicon?
    And whats is your take on calling them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Do you have their no.s

HAHA, only kiddin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 damo.d

funny

Cheers Gnome,

But there are 50 mystical spirits or gods,all for different things,
    that can be contacted through rituals.

Just wondering has anybody ever tried any rituals to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Loads of people have. Just because something is a hoax (more precisely, a series of similar hoaxes, some better performed than others) doesn't mean nobody will believe it, nor does it even mean that such rites would have no effect.

However, if you really want a bunch of daemons to research I'd recommend a look at the Goetia instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why would you want to call them T_T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

damo.d wrote:
    Cheers Gnome,

But there are 50 mystical spirits or gods,all for different things,
    that can be contacted through rituals.

Just wondering has anybody ever tried any rituals to contact them.
    Just to be clear. You do know that the Necronomicon was made up?

And to be clearer still. Use of one or other of the invented Necronomicons, however one might categorise it, could not be described as Paganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Sapien wrote:
    Just to be clear. You do know that the Necronomicon was made up?

I don't think he read my link. How rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Many people won't click on the link and Sapien is just spelling it out clearly as I would have if he had not have gotten there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I thought most people knew it was invented. Even so it could work on a thought form level perhaps or some opportunistic entity might come through to the poor guileless, curious person.

What amazes me is that people want to open Pandora's Box all the time. I'm sure if there was a book entitled - 'Read this and your eyes will be scorched out' that did just that then a lot people would be going around blind! Why do people want to mess with what they clearly have no experience, knowledge or understanding of? 'Playing' with magic is like letting a bunch of yobs with baseball bats run riot inside a nuclear power station i.e. a recipe for disaster!

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Advertisement

'Playing' with magic is like letting a bunch of yobs with baseball bats run riot inside a nuclear power station i.e. a recipe for disaster!
    Do you believe that practicing magick can be a worthy pursuit under certain circumstances?

Yes of course, but a sense of responsibility is required. I would say I spent approx ten years reading on the subject before I attempted my first magical work. This was somewhat over cautious but I like to know what I'm doing and understand it, of course the real learning started when I began the practical stuff as the Chinese proverb goes - "To see is to know, to do is to understand". However, I think it is typical of our modern age that people jump in with little forethought and a casual disrespect for something that can have a profound effect on lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Why do people want to mess with what they clearly have no experience, knowledge or understanding of? 'Playing' with magic is like letting a bunch of yobs with baseball bats run riot inside a nuclear power station

It is quite rational to understand that if information about these things is put out there that people will want to do just that and for many reasons (many such reasons would be considered wrong etc by you or I)

However, it is natural for someone to see a basic outline of a recipie for brownies and go ahead and try to make them without having read all of the instructions or even the ingredients list only to conclude that thats a bad recipie for brownies and buy them ready made in the future, or even still some will make them so badly that they may be turned off eating brownies forever.
    The responsibility towards the curious first time magician is as much on those of us who have spent many years learing to give that wisdom as primary information on the subject as it is for the curious one to read the full recipie before cooking brownies...

I'm sure if there was a book entitled - 'Read this and your eyes will be scorched out' that did just that then a lot people would be going around blind!
    That was part of the point of the first hoax Necronomicon, it was written by an occult bookshop's owner who, annoyed at the lack of discernment he viewed most of his customers having, decided to demonstrate this by writing a deliberately crap book only a total idiot would buy and seeing how many copies he could get rid of. A book claiming to be the Necronomicon mentioned in Lovecraft's works seemed the obvious choice as the very title would show it to be BS, and indeed it did outsell many of the works he considered to be key occult texts.

Talliesin wrote:
    That was part of the point of the first hoax Necronomicon, it was written by an occult bookshop's owner who, annoyed at the lack of discernment he viewed most of his customers having, decided to demonstrate this by writing a deliberately crap book only a total idiot would buy and seeing how many copies he could get rid of. A book claiming to be the Necronomicon mentioned in Lovecraft's works seemed the obvious choice as the very title would show it to be BS, and indeed it did outsell many of the works he considered to be key occult texts.
    And minutes later Chaos Magick was born, and he had to set aside a shelf in his shop to magickal systems predicated on deliberately fictional thoughtforms. Funny how things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

damn straight! soggthohs for all!

I was only enquiring,nice to know you are all such lovely people.

You bunch of wa**ers

Look it is not real it is was and will continue to be a joke.
    And you fell for it and we have been kind enough to point this out to you,
    but googling or searching the wikipedia would have told you this if you had put in some effort.

and for your lack of sense of humour and your abuse of the people here you have earned yourself a nice 1 month ban from this forum.
    There are no stupid questions only stupid and lazy people.

Thaed

Wow! What response to this thread would have made him/her happy?

Talliesin wrote:
    Wow! What response to this thread would have made him/her happy?
    "Oh my God!? You've read the Necronomicon!? You big scary, sexy man! You must be so brave and powerful. I quiver at your feet, and am slightly turned on."

Or something like that.

• Advertisement

Sapien wrote:
    "Oh my God!? You've read the Necronomicon!? You big scary, sexy man! You must be so brave and powerful. I quiver at your feet, and am slightly turned on."

Now Sapien, please no projecting your fanatises on to others.
    If you want to have those types of disscusions about such roleplay there is the Sex & Sexuality forum. :)

http://www.nypress.com/16/23/news&columns/feature.cfm is a quite interesting article with one person's personal impressions of the hoax (as someone who had been there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 vonnyob

It took me a few minutes to decide would I write this or not.

I would like to ask you all, anyone who replyed to the first post when a young person asked for some advice and guidence, why would you feel the need to call hin lazy or stupid, why could no one answer the direct question the boy asked.

Where you once not young?
    where you once not unsure, lost, looking for help.

Maybe the boy did not want to search google maybe he did and still made no sense of his question.

So he turned to others, the people who call themselves pagan but who have a dark inner side to make that boy feel silly.

The boy tried again to ask a direct question and rather than you just telling him the answer you fustrate him?

Why would you have a forum called Pagan, if people can not come in, maybe people that are curious, looking for a direction, advice, help, people who want to talk to others who can direct them on the right path.

Your reply " there is no such thing as a stupid question" Just stupid and lazy people????

the boy was not lazy or stupid he had a question he came to like minded people to ask rather than go to google to look at clips or pages that would probally confuse him more, but you people, who call themselves pagan, did not do what would be the norm, to help guide and assist this boy.

all of you should hang your head in shame.

I am appalled.

This a forum for disscusion about Paganism, the spirituality and the paths not about just Magic ( how ever anyone wants to spell it).

The thread therefore could have been locked and deleted straight away but it wasn't, it was left open and lots of helpful replies and links to rescources were post but the op then came back and was abusive and that is what got him banned.

We are not here to teach people or guide them they have to find thier own way on thier path.
    This is a place for people if they feel inclinded to share about thier path not to assist or indulge thrill seekers, sensationist or those to lazy to do thier own research.

Who are we to short cut anyones journey and there for deny them the lessons that they must learn.

Like minded people ?
    really there are people were who are deluded enought to be practicing Cthuluists and would be irresponsible enough to let the boy think this was a good idea ?

A seekers job is to seek the truth for themselves not shortcuts or to be spoon fed.

Now for starters, this title is telling. "Bar Me If You Dare" indeed.

Wow. I'm trembling. A brave guesture in the face of em, whatever it is you think you're being brave in the face of. Do I dare ban you (why would it take any daring or valour, what's going to happen). "Bar Me If You Can Be Bothered" would have been a better title. Even so, I'll ban as I need to and it takes no daring at all.
    vonnyob wrote:
    I would like to ask you all, anyone who replyed to the first post when a young person asked for some advice and guidence, why would you feel the need to call hin lazy or stupid, why could no one answer the direct question the boy asked.
    There was plenty of information about the Necronomicon given in the posts following the first one. He was called lazy and stupid after he threw a hissy fit.
    vonnyob wrote:
    Where you once not young?
    I am young.
    vonnyob wrote:
    where you once not unsure, lost, looking for help.
    Happens all the time. I try to show my gratitude to does who help.
    vonnyob wrote:
    Maybe the boy did not want to search google maybe he did and still made no sense of his question.
    Maybe he should have read the informative answers.
    vonnyob wrote:
    So he turned to others, the people who call themselves pagan but who have a dark inner side to make that boy feel silly.
    WTF? Of course I have a dark inner side, and as a Pagan I acknowledge it.

Sometimes I have a dark outer side too.
    vonnyob wrote:
    The boy tried again to ask a direct question and rather than you just telling him the answer you fustrate him?
    Are we reading the same thread. There is plenty of information above, both directly and by following the thread Gnome posted, about the Necronomicon. There's also the suggestion of the Goetia as an avenue or research, should the OP or anyone else want to look at a genuine magical practice involving the evocation of demons, and an aside into how from a Chaos Magic view the fact that the Necronomicon is a fiction does not mean it is necessarily impotent magically. That is both informative and gives several avenues for further discussion.

All in all, not a bad thread.
    vonnyob wrote:
    Why would you have a forum called Pagan, if people can not come in, maybe people that are curious, looking for a direction, advice, help, people who want to talk to others who can direct them on the right path.
    Well, really one could ask why a forum called Paganism wouldn't have threads on the Necronomicon moved to the Science Fiction forum.

We've allowed threads on non-Pagan forms of magic in this forum. The reasons why we have allowed to are given after the charter. That particular post says a lot about the different ways in which people have raised such questions in the past.
    vonnyob wrote:
    Your reply " there is no such thing as a stupid question" Just stupid and lazy people????
    As a reply to
    damo.d wrote:
    I was only enquiring,nice to know you are all such lovely people.

You bunch of wa**ers
    That was quite restrained.

By the way, I am indeed a lovely person, but I'm not necessarily a nice person.
    damo.d wrote:
    the boy was not lazy or stupid he had a question he came to like minded people to ask rather than go to google to look at clips or pages that would probally confuse him more, but you people, who call themselves pagan, did not do what would be the norm, to help guide and assist this boy.
    He got the answers put in front of him on a silver platter. Stop complaining that there weren't any napkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tyu

ehh yeah?.... well....necronomicon is your...face:confused:

Wellreally my first instict ws to ban you tyu but well it could be that you just had a bit of a brain seizure the out come of which was that post.
    Care to clarify what you ment or it just a general nonstament of abuse and ridicule that is inviting that posters here to do so to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

for a fake book it has provoked a lot of discussion, no?

That guy was not on calling people wa@@ers but I do think some people are a bit trigger happy with the bans just because some people express their anger or frustration. This is not the 1st ban I've seen for a fairly minor misdemeanor.

Ok so he should have known about the hoaxes, perhaps he felt humiliated and patronised. I agree that if someone is looking for help that satirizing them or belittling them is not the right response.

And if they get that kind of response then perhaps it's only natural that they respond themselves with negative comments.

I think people should be free to express their pleasure or displeasure without censure so long as it does not involve personal attacks.

• Advertisement

Boards.ie as a whole has a strict policy about personal abuse.
    There are many ways he could have gave voice to those feeling bue he choose away that got him banned.

Advertisement