Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling

Options
  • 09-06-2006 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Recently i have been having a lot of problems.
    And i think the best thing for me would be to get some counselling.

But im a bit aprehensive and scared.
    Sometimes i think that maybe a few of the things would seem stupid to a counsellor(sp?)

Or maybe it wouldn't help or i wouldn't be able to actualliy talk to them.
    i don't know if i would feel comfortable

basically im just asking what other peoples experiences of counselling has been like

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It suits some, it doesn't suit others. The only way you'll know is to try though. Personally it didn't do a lot to help my problems (they were biological in nature apparently) but it was nice and useful to have a confidential chat for an hour every so often. It's good way to get rid of some stress which is always good.

I'd say go for it and see how it works for you. Even if it does nothing for you they might be able to point you in the right direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

It helped me through one of the worst times in my life. It would all depend on what you want to get from it, how much of your time you are willing to spend with it and how frank you will be with the person helping you.

You will need to trust this person and be pretty intimate about details in you life for some issues.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the replies.

one of things that have really been killing me is something i actually cannot tell anyone i know.so it might be good to get it off my chest.

i usually have a lot of problems with trust,so whether i would actually able to tell them i will not know.i guess i would have to wait till i was comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I went for counselling at one stage as well and I found it to be an enormous help.

The counsellor, because he/she won't know you, will be able to look at your problems from a different perspective. That's half the battle sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

This is something that I've been thinking about also, I might be nice to just off load some stuff to a stranger!
    Does anyone have the names of people or someone they could recommend? How much do they usually cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I know this is a bit off topic, but would a counsellor have to have qualifications in psychology?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Crucifix wrote:
    I know this is a bit off topic, but would a counsellor have to have qualifications in psychology?

Ask in the psychology forum? Afaik, you don't need a degree in psych but you can't just set yourself up as one there are qualifications involved. I could be totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I work in the counselling department and all our counsellors have qualifications in psychology amoung others...

I know the volunteer counsellors that some areas have dont have the same qualifications.

The clients that come in here range hugely from people dealing with everyday stresses and exams to people who can no longer deal with anything.

The counsellors are all down to earth and they have heard everything at this time. Dont get me wrong they never discuss their client's problwms or what they talk about but sometimes the clients tell me things before they go in.

I'd say go for it. Its only an hour and if you dont feel comfortable just leave. You're under no obligation to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thare are qualifications involved.
    http://www.irish-counselling.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'd recommend counselling/therapy very highly, the perspective a trained professional brings to your situation can be enormously beneficial. If you're going around in circles with the same problems an outsider can see clearly where you're going wrong, and unlike your friends or family they have no axe to grind or vested interest in what you do...their advice will be objective. Having said that, the quality of counsellor is all-important; they must advise and challenge you to prevent you slipping back into the old patterns of thinking and behaviour that got you into the present situation. Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

If you feel it would benefit you to talk to someone impartial to help you through whatever it is you're going through, counselling would help. However when I was going through a rough time myself a few years ago, I went to a medical professional for help, and he was horrible, very judgmental and put me off counselling, so I found it wasnt for me. Everyone has different experiences. Try get some recommendations from your GP (something I didnt do), as to some good counselling services in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

There are many therapists listed in the yellow pages, also you could ring around the various organisations such as IACP, APPI, IAAAC, as well as your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Day are well bygone when it was believed that councelling was embarrassing.

You'd be surprised as to how many take up councelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

I found it to be a great help, my sister actually went too and we both found it very beneficial. I think you would know very quickly whether you trusted them or not, and if you pick someone you don't know they will be impartial and you can open up to them, hopefully.:)
    Mine cost me €50 a session which was usually an hour.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

definately go for it. it may take a few sessions but you'd be surprised how much benefit it can have. it might feel a little weird at first but that passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

definitly go for it. I had to get counselling and it helped me loads. Best thing I ever did. Its amazing the perspective an outsider can give on your situation, especially a trained professional.
    Make sure you get a counsellor you are comfortable talking to. I can talk to anyone but my mum (who also thinks it helped her loads) wasnt happy with her first one so changed. remember everyone clicks with different people.

Advertisement