Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woah, some new massive dell lappy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Weight Starting at approximately 8.2kg depending upon configuration. Yip. I concurr; it's a fold-up PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is the new generation of PC - big, tough and powerful, but mobile where necessary. [strike]IBM[/strike] Samsung has just released something similar - a laptop with a detachable screen. http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/mobilecomputing/multimedia/np_m70t001suk.asp

It's not the kind of thing you pack into your carry-on, but you can bring it on holidays if you want your full-time computer with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

That's been Sony's strategy for a number of years now. It suits a lot of people. However, it ends up pissing off a lot more people who buy from shops as the think it's going to run off a battery. The battery serves more as a UPS, TBH. I think it'll be the road I head down for my next purchase. Albeit, something with a bit more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

exactly like my i9100, more as a portable desktop than a notebook.
    Battery is like a power backup.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

"The Dell XPS M2010 would approximately retail for $2500"

Certainly worth a look in, you'd think the market for something like this with gamers would be phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Massive screen, bluetooth keyboard, two hard drives, top loading optical drive and the integrated webcam is a nice touch though that's been pretty common with other manufacturers for a while now. Very plasticky finish on the base part though. It's the kind of thing that could probably work well as a mobile home entertainment thingie (very careful dedication to sound there) but I reckon calling it a laptop/notebook is rather stretching it - it's about as heavy as the original Grid (though obviously a thousand times as fast with a screen that isn't the size of a matchbook).

I wouldn't but then I suspect the price would rather put me off.

Put on together on Dell.ie there with minimal specs (which are still pretty good) though I did fold and end up sticking on 3 year accident and theft cover for about 350 quid.

Total came to € 2,678

But adding extra hdd space, ram or maybe a specially branded dell cloth brings the price over 3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Acer are knocking out a 20" too with HD screen and HD DVD player

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/08/acer-aspire-9800-with-hd-dvd-in-the-wild/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

CuLT wrote:
    Put on together on Dell.ie there with minimal specs (which are still pretty good) though I did fold and end up sticking on 3 year accident and theft cover for about 350 quid.

Total came to € 2,678

But adding extra hdd space, ram or maybe a specially branded dell cloth brings the price over 3,000.

I could find the notebook on dell.ie but nowhere to configurate it. It just said to phone to call.

anyone with a link. Seems an awesome machine...something that i have been looking for for over a year.

Dell link but no prices

Here's the configure page, for some reason it's hidden in small business systems under the "bargain" section. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

CuLT wrote:
    Here's the configure page, for some reason it's hidden in small business systems under the "bargain" section. Go figure.

Cheers it was hidden. Can anyone suggest what extra i should choose....

Just pricing at the moment but looks like what i want. (not necessary what i need:) )

Basically i want a cool looking machine that performs alot of features. The 20.1 screen is perfect. Like the k750 sony phone (camera,mp3,radio and phone) it seems to cover most bases. I have waited a couple of years (suffering with a 6 year old gateway laptop - top of range of its day) for something like this to come to market.

Can i assume it will play battlefield2 with no problems....

Advertisement