Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killer laptop on its way.

Options
  • 08-06-2006 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

folks,

sick to death of the inferior laptops on sale here at inflated prices, the dell xps is a killer of a machine, but a well specced one would cost as much as a nice car.

im getting this from discountlaptops.com in a week ish.

cost me 1,800euros.

Display:

17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Active Matrix Display
    Intel® Pentium® M CORE DUO Processor 2Ghz (667 MHz Bus, 2MB L2 Cache, Yonah/Napa)
    256 MB GDDR3 nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX 16x PCI-Express
    8-Cell Smart Lithium Ion Battery
    1Gig DDR2 Ram
    100gig 7,200rpm hard disk
    4 USB (2.0), 1 PCMCIA Port, 1 Fast IR, 1 Serial Port
    10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet LAN Card, 56k Modem, Internal 802.11ABG Wireless
    1 S-Video TV Out, 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire, 1 DVI out
    2 speaker, 5.1 CH surround sound, SPDIF Port
    15.6”(w) x 11.5”(d) x 1” ~ 1.8” (h) - 8.35 lbs With Battery

Special Notes

Built-in 8ch Azalia Sound System (with 8 external speakers output without Ext. decoder)
    Digital 5.1 Channel Audio (SPDIF) Output
    Full Sized Keyboard with Numeric Key Pad
    Internal TV Tuner with TV-in port (Optional)
    Internal Bluetooth Option
    web cam

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

is that including vat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The DELL xps isn't as bad as it used to be. I saw one with a 7900 for 1100 recently (sterling inc vat...so whatever that is in euro, still a good deal) whilst reading a pc magazine.

also while on the issue that same advert stated that if you bought a dell xps desktop - which wasn't TOO badly priced for dell - it came with a second 7900 FREE! :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Specs are good for the price.

I'm a cautious (maybe cynical) buyer though. Worst case scenario: the screen will be poor quality and plasticky and/or poorly lit, the keys will be spongey, and it will have a cheapy texture and weigh a tonne. 3.8 kg is pretty hefty to carry around.
    It may also arrive with dead pixels, be really loud and or hot when running, the keys on the keyboard may start to fade after a month, upgrading may be a pain, or it might simply die right after your warranty runs out.

Unfortunately these are the things they don't post in the spec list. Did you look up any reviews for the laptop you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

99% of the time, you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

that laptop in the states is a killer of a machine, read reviews on it. the sager model.

the dell outlet is a complete joke, was looking at some xps models, one was 1,500e and i booked it and the price went up to like 4 grand after vat, then the same model appeared later even more expensive.

Price incl. VAT excl. del: EUR 5,325.80
    Price excl. VAT & del: EUR 4,401.49

System 1 Price

Inspiron 9400 (System Identifier. 0997T0AL) EUR 1,033.00
    Inspiron 9400 Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    ()))__________

are they having a laugh or something.

the laptop in the states is 2,400dollars, not exactly cheap. but this is the land where saly mustangs can be got got pittance.

all high end sagers are made to order, and are tested, so dead pixels are unlikely,

if you know anything about computers, in ireland laptops are a complete rip off, most of the ones are utter shyte.

i mean, in terms of doing anything productive.

(like playing games:D )

no, does anyone have 4 grand for the xps i could borrow.......

• Advertisement

I was on the dell site a few minutes ago, Dell XPS with 512mb 7900 is E2,377 INC vat and delivery and a 3 year warranty....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I bought Macbook Pro there a few montha ago, and I thought that was expensive but the XPS seems way to pricey.

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    I bought Macbook Pro there a few montha ago, and I thought that was expensive but the XPS seems way to pricey.

My friend recently bought a mac for 2,500.....now THATS pricey! Although I think he was ripped off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

To Legs11: Won't you have to pay Customs Duty on the laptop you ordered from discountlaptops.com? Could add a good bit to the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

HavoK wrote:
    My friend recently bought a mac for 2,500.....now THATS pricey! Although I think he was ripped off big time.

I paid more for mine :) Worth it though!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

yeah ,3k for a reasonably spec'd macbook pro.

Hence why I'm getting the macbook (less the pro) :V

All the features (well, maybe no fancy gfx card, but who buys a mac to play games), smaller, and half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The Taxes and duty bringing it in will add alot to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TommyGun wrote:
    The Taxes and duty bringing it in will add alot to the price.

Treat yourself to a break by going over there personally to get it and you won't have to worry about customs unless you are way too honest.

folks,

i wasnt going to pay vat, it was getting sent to chicago and a friend was bringing it over, but in any event i cancelled it. i had to lodge a fat cheque to my bank and it wont clear until wed, i need the laptop in chicago by fri, friend leaves sunday.
    no way of getting it in time, takes 3 days to build and test, and shippin from cali to chicago, ditto.

bit dissapointed, but i will get a dell outlet one afterall, an inspiron. with nvida,
    every damn laptop in the shops here got ati crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The maximum that you can import on your person before paying import duty is €175, unless you plan to do something illegal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mur_cott

Hi Leg11,
    I just brought a Toshiba Satellite R15 Tablet PC from the US last week and had it shipped here for a grand total of 720 euro! And that’s including shipping. Took 6 days! Yes, it was factory reconditioned, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Plus I did not get caught for any import duties. (That’s just luck though). The same PC priced here was NEARY 2900 Euro! I have been looking for a tablet PC for a while and had given up on buying one in this country, simply because the cost was crazy. Here’s what I got for my money:

Toshiba Satellite R15 Tablet PC. Factory warranty sealed in original Toshiba box with full supporting documentation.

80GB HDD (5400rpm) with Toshiba Shock Protection System.
    The DVD SuperMulti (+R double layer)
    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70GHz),
    1G Ram
    14.1" Diagonal XGA Display
    Built in Intel® Pro/Wireless Network Connection 2200BG (802.11b/g)
    SD card slot
    TV-out (S-Video)
    RGB port

Microsoft® Windows® XP professional Tablet Edition 2005. With Microsoft® Office OneNote installed.

I have to say, buying from the states is a gamble, you may not get what you expected, (Have had good and bad experiences in the past) but if you are willing to take the risk, you could save well in excess of 50% on the price. If you are in the US, take a walk down to any target or best buy electronics shops there and see the prices of laptops there, it will shock you how cheap they are. We are totally getting ripped of in this country! Go onto the German dell site and see how much cheaper the same laptop is there, compared to the same dell model here.

to the last poster, i said we were getting ripped off in my 1st thread.

thing about ireland is like pretty much anything, customers mostly havent a clue and pay whatever the retailer charges. if they charge 1,300e for a crap laptop worth 400e in the states what are we going to do about it, call the cops?!

everything here is over priced, including beer, which im having a few of soon, and i wouldny have been hit for a cent of tax as my friend in a us citizen so could have a few choice blocks from fort knox sent over if i wanted.:D

mur_cott wrote:

Toshiba Satellite R15 Tablet PC. Factory warranty sealed in original Toshiba box with full supporting documentation.

80GB HDD (5400rpm) with Toshiba Shock Protection System.
    The DVD SuperMulti (+R double layer)
    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70GHz),
    1G Ram
    14.1" Diagonal XGA Display
    Built in Intel® Pro/Wireless Network Connection 2200BG (802.11b/g)
    SD card slot
    TV-out (S-Video)
    RGB port

Microsoft® Windows® XP professional Tablet Edition 2005. With Microsoft® Office OneNote installed.

Firstly, thats refurbished, which are always a hell of alot cheaper then brand new, regardless of how perfect they seem. Secondly, you got a good deal - that system does not usually retail even in the US for that price, in case everyone here is taking your bargin as gospel!

Damn good deal if thats what you paid for it though...

PS - OP - have you actually done your research on DELL?

Because I just looked at a killer XPS laptop, with a three year warranty PLUS a better graphics card, processor, battery then the one you currently have down in the 1,800 laptop, and it comes to 2,300....sure, its a 500 difference, but its a nicely better spec, plus it has a three year warranty...

Not exactly the price of a new car you said in your OP ;)

Advertisement