Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling while drunk

Options
  • 08-06-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

What sanctions/actions are taken against someone who is stopped cycling while under the influence?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

a guy i know ended up in court before for cycling when drunk.... charge was 'operating a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst under the influence of excess alcohol' he got a fine... but he was pis5ed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Depends on the guard in question, but I believe you can be done for "drink driving".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Quicker and easier to be summonsed under the Public Order Act for being drunk and incapable in a public place.

Also there is a fine under the Road Traffic Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Don't do it. I broke my collarbone doing it once when i crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm fairly certain that in the UK you can get a driving ban, points (on your car/motorbike licence) plus fine if you're caught drunk in charge of a bicycle. No idea what the law is here though, but even if there were one I doubt it'd be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

derek27 wrote:
    a guy i know ended up in court before for cycling when drunk.... charge was 'operating a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst under the influence of excess alcohol' he got a fine... but he was pis5ed

Thats true, that law also covers horses and other large animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

This is covered in the Road Traffic Act, Section 51, the penalties are a fine not exceding 800 euro or imprisonment not exceeding three months. The fine is set to change to 1000 euro later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have to admit that I did it quite a bit back in the 1980s. I got an official warning from a Garda one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robfitz wrote:
    This is covered in the Road Traffic Act, Section 51, the penalties are a fine not exceding 800 euro or imprisonment not exceeding three months. The fine is set to change to 1000 euro later this year.
    But no penalty points and no mandatory breath testing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

They take your driving licence (if you have one) if they catch you here! And the fine is HUGE. Poland is the same too (with losing the licence at least).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I frequently cycle whilst drunk... Usually its up the malahide road:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭Stark

sunnyjim wrote:
    I frequently cycle whilst drunk... Usually its up the malahide road:eek:

Eek. That road would scare the crap out of me if I was cycling it sober.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭SeanW

My goodness, you'd have to be suicidal to bike drunk.

Advertisement