Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head Skimming

Options
  • 08-06-2006 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

If the head is taken off an engine cold does it need to get skimmed. I.e. if the head gasket has not gone but other work needs to be done should the head be skimmed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No, but the head gasket will have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Replace the head gasket, sure why not skim the head and polish, polishing will allow the gases to be moved at a higher rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

comanche wrote:
    If the head is taken off an engine cold does it need to get skimmed. I.e. if the head gasket has not gone but other work needs to be done should the head be skimmed?

yes it should... any time the head is removed it is good practise to skim the head, new gasket and also new head bolts... they also have to be torqued.

this is due to the heat effecting the head while running, when removed slight warping will occur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should get the head skimmed just to be on the safe side. It's good practice to have the head skimmed everytime it is being refitted (unless of course you are fitting a new one!). It probably won't need much taken off it if it hasn't overheated and it's only 50 Euro to get it skimmed so for the sake of having peace of mind I'd say get it done. Also, as said above replace cylinder head bolts and gasket and make sure you torque correctly and it is also good practice to replace the timing belt while you have it off, usually cost 20-40 Euro (be sure to check new one against old one for length and number of teeth)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Any reccomendations as to where I could get this done?

Looks like ive blown a head gasket in my Passat. The temps didnt go sky high, but I think I will get it skimmed and regirind the valves just in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement