Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Blacks Game on TV?

• 07-06-2006 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew if the first test this Saturday is on TV? RTE or SKY only? Cheers, Les

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Rugby Union 08:00 Sky Sports 2 /Sky Sports HD New Zealand v Ireland 1st Test

Coverage starts at 8, match is half 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Sky only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone know if there is radio commentary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

les_steaks wrote:
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew if the first test this Saturday is on TV? RTE or SKY only? Cheers, Les
    I asked the same question in the other thread. Sky only .. a few pubs named on that thread that are showing it.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Would like to see this too - anyone know where to see in Limerick ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

anyone know if there is radio commentary?
    It is on RTE Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Does anyone know why RTE aren't showing it? Sky don't have the rights to Irish games.... why are they showing this? Did something change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

daveirl wrote:
    And why not...

Remember the "Coverage" of the tour of Japan last year... I don't think I could have stomached that again.

RTE don't seem to realise that most rugby fans will stay up til all hours or get up very early to watch a live game with comprehensive analysis. Sky get the job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

Main reason RTE aint showin it is the same reason the aint showing Live euro rugby any more MONEY!

Is the game being streamed on the internet anywhere?

Ger

• Advertisement

Well that's the cost of professionalism.

In fairness, as much as I loved Rugby 10 years ago, the professional era has produced much better rugby.

You only have to watch some of the World Cup games from years gone by to realise just how bad the game actually was compared with now. The quality of play has improved immensely due to professionalism and the fact that guys are training/playing 5 or 6 days a week.

Someone has to pay those players. It seems to me that RTE have yet to grasp this concept, showing as they do the odd club game, H cup and 6N. I'm glad they've lost H-cup and C-league over the last couple of years, they didn't take it seriously enough until they lost it. Now they only have internationals thanks to government protection.

No streaming to the best of my knowledge. Don't you know anyone with Sky Sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

In fairness, as much as I loved Rugby 10 years ago, the professional era has produced much better rugby.

You only have to watch some of the World Cup games from years gone by to realise just how bad the game actually was compared with now.

Really? France v Australia semifinal from 1987 was a bit of a classic. And for sheer excitement, Ireland Australia q Final in Dublin in 1991 was a good game too. So too was the Wales v Western Samoa game that year (assuming you're not Welsh)
    Someone has to pay those players. It seems to me that RTE have yet to grasp this concept, showing as they do the odd club game, H cup and 6N. I'm glad they've lost H-cup and C-league over the last couple of years, they didn't take it seriously enough until they lost it.

Yes but that's no reason to inflict Stuart Barnes on everybody. I mean, I'm sure his mother loves him but I CAN'T STAND THE WAY HE TALKS. And the way he sees the game. It's a disaster. Having the one set of commentators for everybody is just not on. Each team needs to have its own bigotscommentating on the match. Otherwise it's just not the same.

Really? France v Australia semifinal from 1987 was a bit of a classic. And for sheer excitement, Ireland Australia q Final in Dublin in 1991 was a good game too. So too was the Wales v Western Samoa game that year (assuming you're not Welsh)

Yes but that's no reason to inflict Stuart Barnes on everybody. I mean, I'm sure his mother loves him but I CAN'T STAND THE WAY HE TALKS. And the way he sees the game. It's a disaster. Having the one set of commentators for everybody is just not on. Each team needs to have its own bigotscommentating on the match. Otherwise it's just not the same.
    I agree about Barnes, but I'd still take him over Nugent, Cogley or Hamilton.

I never said the games themselves were bad (or at least I didn't intend to), merely that the skill levels today are much higher and that the standard of play is better. I'm not Welsh, but am partial to visiting Millenium Stadium for the Autumn series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

In fairness to RTE ..

To them rugby is just one other sport which, when they do cover it, they do well. This weekend, they'll be showing the World Cup and some GAA games and, if Colm Murray is involved, some horse-racing.

The activities of IRFU teams in NZ or North America or France would be hard to fit in around all that.

And anyway, the salient point is .. SKY paid for the SH TV rights. RTE shouldn't be bidding in that market - that's not in their remit. Neither BBC nor ITV are covering the Australia England match on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 munster30

Perhaps if RTE ever went Digital they might of have a chance of showing some more sports which run concurrently, bit like when they have golf on - nhon stop for 3 days and then an 1/2 on the Sunday because it clashes with the GAA/horse racing

Advertisement