Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What parts are re-sellable?

Options
  • 07-06-2006 12:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Before I begin I'm not using this as a sneaky way to advertise my wares, just to get an idea of what is sellable and what is not; I won't be responding to any offers made (if any are) or any PM's about it, just like to make that clear so no one thinks I'm ignoring FS/adverts.ie

OK, my laptop (HP compaq nx9010) recently packed it in on me and I'm looking to upgrade, but before I do that I want to see what parts I can sell on rather than just dump; the problem that I had with the laptop was that the AC adaptor on the motherboard broke and I couldn't find a replacement part (tbh I want a new machine anyway)... so there's no damage that can't be fixed by someone who knows their stuff or has the right parts going spare.

I've taken the HDD and gotten an enclosure so that's not for sale, but what else can I expect to make anything (and I mean anything) on?
    I figure the RAM (2 X 256mb sticks), the processor (Pentium 4, 1.5 or 2ghz I think, in a heat sink), the motherboard (maybe, no specs for this though) and perhaps even the screen (which is a little bit iffy but it does work) are all sellable, but probably not for much... anyone know how much I could expect for stuff like this?
    The DVD ROM CDRW drive is in good nick but I think it would only fit this type of laptop, but it might work on other compaq laptops, I dunno...

Anyway, any advice on what I could sell off (as I said, any price, better than getting nothing!) and what prices I could make on it would be a great benefit

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sadly not much the CPU will possibly only fit in that board so best suited to someone who has one.

DVD drive always sellable, ram too.

Tbh your better off getting it fixed and selling it complete to maximise cash sale.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As above. You should have no problems selling the ram, battery and optical drive seperately but not much else. You could however easily sell the ram, battery and drive, and then sell the remaining core of the machine on ebay or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The LCD is worth alot ( around E100)to the right buyer... Ebay it.

The battery - if in good condition.E 15

The CPU - Should be a standard, You just have to know the 'Slot' and speed. E40

Some of the mechanicals (Plastics and Metals) could be sold as spares on EBay - E20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If all that is wrong is the ac adaptor input then sell it whole minus disk drive. Put it up on ebay.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Don't do it.
    Check out http://www.laptopjacks.com/view_part.php?id=HP21225
    They have a replacment jack for it.
    I've replaced these jacks before. It's not that hard if you got soldering skills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement