Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop thinks it's a dual CPU machine..

Options
  • 06-06-2006 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Here's the deal, my brother left me his laptop while he went on holidays for a while. It's working, more or less, but has a few glitches.

To start with, System Properties says the machine's a "2.8ghz (2 CPU's)". When in actual fact it's only a 1.8/2.0ghz or so.
    And secondly, it's running sluggish as hell. There's a few processes running that take up some RAM and CPU time, but what's suspicious is that explorer.exe is taking up about 45% or so CPU time at any one stage.

Anyone any ideas as to where to start? I'll defrag the hd, and run a virus/adware scan in a while.

Ta in advance.

PS: It's running XP Pro, and has 512mb RAM. If that's any help to anyone. Should be able to sort this myself, but just wondering if anyone's come across anything like it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What is the actual CPU? (HT?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

IIRC it's a P4 of some sort. Tbh I haven't a notion what it is bar that it's a Mobile P4.

Just looking at it now, and System Properties says it's a 2.8ghz (no mention of 2 CPUs), which it isn't, it's much closer to 2.0ghz. And it's not o/c'ed either.
    DX Diagnostic says it's a "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80ghz (2 CPUs)".

Bit odd really.

/edit: Device manager's listing an ACPI Multiprocessor (shouldn't that be Uniprocessor?) PC in the Computer tab..is this normal? I really don't know much about Intel's..give me an AMD machine any day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Id say its a P4 with HT.

So er..it should say 2 CPUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

download and run cpuz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Spike wrote:
    So er..it should say 2 CPUs?

No. And you're absolutely positive its not a dual core laptop? Sounds strange. Try cpu-z as advised below!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's probably also running that speed step thing that changes the cpu speed depending on the load.

Ah yeah, never thought of CPU-z. Shall check it out.

It's defo not a dual core, I'm positive on that. As for the speed step thing, it doesn't overclock the CPU afaik.

I'll play around with it tonight anyway, and report back. Cheers for the help folks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Spike wrote:
    explorer.exe is taking up about 45% or so CPU time at any one stage.
    Google it - its to do with AVI files and XP Sp1. There is a regedit twek just google it.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

2.8Ghz HT chip FTW

• Advertisement
Advertisement