Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 General Discussion -** SPOLERS **HEAVY ON SEASON 2 DISCUSSION + FINALE

Options
  • 06-06-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys im new to this forum, hi to all :) If im repeating anything already said forgive me!!! I've just watched Live Together, Die Alone for the 6th time and yes im prob not done at 6. Whilst it may not have lived up to billing as 'Best Finale Ever', it was awesome. I personally hope Desmond comes back next season and im confident he will be back (listened to the last Podcast and Damon Lindelof sounded pretty confident he'll be back).

As for Season 2 my favourite episode by a distance was "?", maybe it tapped into my mood at the time but i found it a very spiritual, thoughtful episode. One which i could also watch many times and have done. The scene in the airport at the end is very moving.

Season 3 outline:

From listening to the Podcast, Season 3 will take shape as follows:

6 Episodes in the Autumn focusing on Kate, Jack, Sawyer, where they are, why they were brought there etc. With a mini-wrap/cliffhanger after the 6th episode.

Then its off air til late Jan/early Feb for the primetime Spring season, with a further 18 episodes, with no interuptions. The overall theme for next season is gonna focus largely on the Others and also a fair amount on the idea introduced at the end of Season 2 - the concept of the world in the present time, not in flashbacks; and the fact that it appears Pen is looking for the island.

Season 3 hopes and wishes:

Desmond, Eko and Locke (the 3 most intriguing characters) to feature heavily.

Focus more on the realtionships between the main characters - Jack, Kate n Sawyer Triangle, Charlie n Claire etc

Learn more about The Others and the history of the Island.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I for one would like to see some monkeys on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I think I'd like to see more of the spiritual/supernatural side of the island.

At the end of season 2 we're shown a plane crash caused by a scientific project based on harnessing electro magnetic power gone wrong. Throughout the Season with the Hatch, Dharma, Desmond, the Others proving to be more advanced than they first seemed, there seem to be man made explanations for many things and the island's lost a lot of its mystique...

However, like the '?' episode mentioned above, or Claire's dreams before she was kidnapped in Season 1, or Locke's dream that led to Boone's demise, or Jack's father and Kate's horse seemingly running around the island, not to mention the many many coincidences in the flashbacks, it seems there's more to the island than Dharma could possibly be responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Personally, I'd like to to get closure next season on what exactly the smoke monster that plucked the captain from the cockpit and chased various people around the island is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd like to know what it is that is appearing to Locke and Eko in their dreams. What intelligence is behind all this, and will there be consequences now that Desmond has "blown the dam"? It seemed very insistent that the button must be pushed... what happens now that there is no button, and no electo-magnetic build-up?

I'm glad that we're going to get an insight into the Others, and the outside world simultaneously. Interestingly, in season 2, we got to see more than one person in the "real world" looking for people on the island. We saw Ana Lucia call her mother and tell her that she was on Flight 815. Surely this means that its disappearance was noted and a rescue mounted?

Anyway, it promises to be extremely interesting. Roll on September. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bard wrote:
    Personally, I'd like to to get closure next season on what exactly the smoke monster that plucked the captain from the cockpit and chased various people around the island is...

yep, agree totally...

looking for answers to at least third of these questions:

what the others real intentions and purpose is, are they test subjects?? how long they are there, why they are hand picking people, and how they know peoples real names
    are there other "others" beside the others on the island

Desmonds wife's (Pen Widmore) intentions

peoples unnoticed conections with one another before flight, espcially Libby

the black smoke

the wildlife on the island - horse, polar bear, talking bird.......

How Locke and Rose suddenly healed when on island

kate seeing a horse

the shark with the Dharma logo on it

why the guy in the Dharma films gave different names

Hugo seeing his make believe mate, and his constant bad luck/good luck thing!

Jack seeing his Dad

Why Walt & Locke are so special

Does Micheal escape

the list goes on, prob left out loads! but if I was to get at least a 1/3 of those answers Id be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

the foot of a giant statue with 4 toes.....

yeah and the reason why Desmond couldnt get off island having sailed for 2 weeks...ah there is loads...guess we gotta wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

most of those questions can obviously be answered... eg. hurley being schizophrenic.. dave originally manifetsed himself due to the stress of the accident and became his 'excuse' to continue overeating .. he would merely be brought on by hurley's mental state.. i believe that entire episode was to show that hurley was/is nuts and to craftily sneek libby in at the end. dont know if libby was nuts before or after she met desmond, bu giving a total stranger your dead husbands boat to sail around the world in.. seems pretty nuts to me.

... as for desmond.. he HAS to be dead... otherwise what was the whole point of the key? he was acting as if it was suicide to turn the key.. so he has to die immediately after turning the key as that would totally invalidate the numbers.

.. the bird and the shark were 'in' jokes

.. the question we should ask is why in season one when sayid was gonna map the island, didn't he? he met up with danielle, then stole her maps and tried to use them to find the radio tower, etc but they weren't even correct...
    if he had have circumvented the island, he would have already found desmonds boat, the statue, the fake camp, and who knows what else they decide to stick in, in s3...

.. another quicky.. how did kelvin draw his part of the map?.. desmond faked a lockdown, kelvin mixed the ink and then started to paint.. during the day.. on an invisible map... without UV lighting.. now thats impressive..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Didn't he say he had photographic memory. That'd do the trick nicely.

I'v said elsewhere already. I want to see more of the history/origins of the island. I'd like to know about the Statue and the civilisation that lived there. I'd like to see how Dharma first came to the island. Also I want to know who the feck the Others are and what they are doing. They are my main "wants" for next season.

Obviously, I also want to know more about those Portugese guys and Penny Widemore, the black smoke, the numbers, the hatches, the food supply drop, how all the Losties are connected in their real world lives.... the list goes on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Trilla wrote:
    yeah and the reason why Desmond couldnt get off island having sailed for 2 weeks...ah there is loads...guess we gotta wait!

the magnet in the hatch pulls all compasses toward it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

loon wrote:
    ... as for desmond.. he HAS to be dead... otherwise what was the whole point of the key? he was acting as if it was suicide to turn the key.. so he has to die immediately after turning the key as that would totally invalidate the numbers.

invalidate the numbers, no. the numbers say 'cause to die' independant of a key override, the key override blows an em dam somewhere, I'm not sure of the effects of blowing a em dam or the proximities which are considered safe so desmond does not have to be necessarily dead.
    loon wrote:

i would've thought they'd be part of the animal project, or eyes for remote viewers.
    loon wrote:
    .. the question we should ask is why in season one when sayid was gonna map the island, didn't he? he met up with danielle, then stole her maps and tried to use them to find the radio tower, etc but they weren't even correct...
    if he had have circumvented the island, he would have already found desmonds boat, the statue, the fake camp, and who knows what else they decide to stick in, in s3...

that is a pretty valid point, although a lot stuff happened to throw him off..

Bacchus wrote:
    Didn't he say he had photographic memory. That'd do the trick nicely.

I'v said elsewhere already. I want to see more of the history/origins of the island. I'd like to know about the Statue and the civilisation that lived there. I'd like to see how Dharma first came to the island. Also I want to know who the feck the Others are and what they are doing. They are my main "wants" for next season.

Obviously, I also want to know more about those Portugese guys and Penny Widemore, the black smoke, the numbers, the hatches, the food supply drop, how all the Losties are connected in their real world lives.... the list goes on :rolleyes:

even if he had a photographic memory, he would not be able to draw the map so accurately without overlapping, its like writing with your eyes closed..

.. i too want answers but mostly, i want to know what the outside world is doing about locating the plane.. both the us government and oceanic will be looking for the plane.. for closure and insurance purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Did Kelven not saw that the other fella that was with him had a photographic memory,not himself.

So that doesn't really explain that.

Interestin'

stevejazzx wrote:
    the magnet in the hatch pulls all compasses toward it....

Clever.
    Never thought that.
    Your noggin is workin'

loon wrote:
    even if he had a photographic memory, he would not be able to draw the map so accurately without overlapping, its like writing with your eyes closed..

Photographic memory, eidetic memory, or total recall, is the ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with great accuracy and in seemingly unlimited volume.

I imagine someone with photographic memory would have no problem drawing an invisible map.
    im...LOST wrote:
    Did Kelven not saw that the other fella that was with him had a photographic memory,not himself.

Good point. Radzinski had the photographic memory. Kelvin just carried on his work. Now that doesn't make sence at all. Photograhic memory or not how can someone continue an invisible map that they have never seen. Methinks maybe Kelvin is lying. Maybe (and this is a long shot) Kelvin killed Radzinski.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can see when hes drawing that he's looking at it from an angle, it must be at least partially visible when light falls on it the right way.

I think its obvious enough that when Radzinski died, Kelvin started exploring the island himself and continued the map. How else would he know what to draw...

loon wrote:
    most of those questions can obviously be answered... eg. hurley being schizophrenic.. dave originally manifetsed himself due to the stress of the accident and became his 'excuse' to continue overeating .. he would merely be brought on by hurley's mental state...

Fair enought, Dave is Hurleys made up mate, but are Jack and kate mad also, for what they saw?? was Shannon and Saiyd seeing things also?
    loon wrote:

dont think so, havent there been STRONG rumours that him and Henry have joined the main cast for season 3?
    loon wrote:

what??? jokes...erm no!

most f these questions CANNOT be obviously answered

i don't know about jack and kate.. i believe it has something to o with the islands mysticism.. which seems to have disappeared in season two...

... as for the key/desmond being dead.. whats the point... if desmond had a key that if turned meant he didn't have to type the numbers in and had no consequence, why not just turn it after he killed kelvin.. at least he could sleep for longer than 108 minutes...

... the bird saying hurleys name is a cast joke continuing from season one.. and the dharma logo on the shark was put there for all you eagle eyed easter egg hunters..

... as for the memory.. it was not kelvin but his partner who had it.. so same question...

I'm sure there will be some other consequence of "blowing the dam" that we'll find out in season 15 but I don't see the need for Desmond to die in order to validate pushing the button. We still don't really know what the key does, so until then I will be reserving judgement.

The bird was an in joke from season 1 when the same bird appeared and it's sqawk sounded like it said Hurley. They did it again this season as a joke.

The shark however is not a joke. We know Dharma are involved with zoological research. This is further evidence of it.

It's already been said that it was Radzinski not Kelvin who started the map. How Kelvin continued the map is a mystery. When Desmond asked him, he said "very carefully and very slowly". As Anima pointed out, he was looking at it at an angle so it's possible he could just make out the trace of the map.
    A more interesting question to ask is why not use the UV lights. Surely Radzinski knew about them, otherwise why draw the map at all.

• Advertisement

Kelvin doesn't have a photographic memory. You can see him fingering around the blastdoor before painting. Perhaps he was feeling for bumps and grooves which would tell him where has been painted and what.

Actually.. new theory.

Is it possible that Kelvin wasn't the one who drew the map whatsoever. I believe that it was Razensky (or however its spelt) that did it originally, and Kelvin was just applying the solution that would cause it to glow in the dark. That's why he's fingering the bumps and grooves, because its actually on the wall already.

Another question;

Why is it that in the episode of Lockedown when the countdown finished the lights turned off, yet when they did it in the season finale nothing happened. Perhaps Razensky (I'll just spell it like that from now on..) didn't even think about having the UV lights.

screen1.jpg
    Thats what Kelvin was using in the solution.

loon wrote:
    ... the bird saying hurleys name is a cast joke continuing from season one..

Did the bird even say Hurleys name?
    I have listened to it several times and it sound just like a "normal" squake to me.

That's the joke. In season 1 it sounded like it said Hurley so they did it again. **** joke TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The logo on the shark wasn't supposed to be so visible afaik. Its not important anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Actually, the one question I want answered most of all for season 3 is the Libby question. She is the only character (with the exception of that Jack/des stadium meet) to have consciously interacted with another character in a flashback, and I really want to know just who she is and what she was doing, and does she have a greater part to play in the whole situation. (By the way, I wish they hadn't killed her :D she was one of the best characters I thought, mainly due to that air of mystery she carried)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I expect, and I suppose hope, that season three will almost focus on 'the others' ie, having flashbacks for their characters. The fact that three of the biggest characters, Jack, Kate and Sawyer are with the others leads me to think this will happen.

I also don't like the new doubtful, sceptical Locke. Being around Jack so much has obviously rubbed off on him. Eko's almost like the new Locke. But I hope both survive. I didn't really understand what happened when the key was twisted and everything went white. The quarintine door came flying through the door which leads me to think that anything that was inside the hatch got obliterated. Did the turning of the key release all the electromagnetism or what?

I also hope that there won't be much, if any love story ruining the plots but I'm afraid it looks inevitable with Claire and Charlie and Kate, Sawyer and Jack on the other side of the island. I'm glad Kate and Jack were taking as both are pains in the asses but Sawyer's pretty funny so it's a shame he was taken.

I also keep forgetting about Sayid. My guess is tht he's going to hang around and wait for the others to return and will try to get Jack, Kate and Sawyer free somehow.

It'll be interesting to see what happens anyway, hopefully.

sayid has a mission.. as a muslim, and the fact that the foot may be female .. so he's looking for a giant sock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

lol :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I want to find out how it is that the character's stories overlap so much with no obvious connection (sure, they might have PO'ed someone in Dharma but their interactions also take place outside of this connection).

I want an explanation as to how the numbers keep cropping up in their lives and what more they might signify. I want to know the reason for constantly typing them into a computer other than to look mysterious (why not just type "run" ..).

I want to know why the guardian monster suddenly vanished, as if the script writers decided to sideline him for other plot threads that they had a better idea about.

I want to know if you could leave the island if you plotted by the sun, which has nothing to do with electromagnetism and thus wouldn't affect any compass readings.

I want to know what the Others are (well I'm prolly somewhat likely to get this one).

I want to know what the hell the other 30 or so people do when they're not being told anything by Jack and Co and why they put up with it.

I want to know if the writers actually really have all the answers or are kinda making it up as they go along...

• Advertisement

... they're either making it up as they go along.. or showing each episode to old or retarded people and then asking them whats going on.. they then base the next episode on the responses..

Advertisement