Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

I'm an avid book worm and go go through books like people go through cups of tea and i need to broaded my horizons a bit. I like fiction in any shape or form except Sci-Fi.

I have read all the Irish bestsellers and all of the usual crime books like Michael Connolly (whichj i dislike) and i've nearly exhausted PD James. Please Help as i've a long boring weekend ahead!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

WG Sebald's The Rings of Saturn (no, it's not a sci fi book, despite the name and the cover image on amazon is wrong too)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

man, i all i want to do is recommend you some sci fi now :(

haruki murakami is great. try hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world, or the elephant vanishes (a colleciton of short stories)

The shadow fo the wind (by some spanish dude) is excellent too

in the vain attempt to get you to read sci-fi, Phillip K Dick's short stories rock. not particularly sciency, he tends to focus more on the people invovled, the collection including minority report and we can remember if for you wholesale is quite popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Whats Stephen Hawkings 'A brief history of time' like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you read any kurt vonnegutt? he's great

lost discoveries - the ancient roots of modern science - Dick Teresi
    is pretty interesting, .. i'm reading john ralston saul - voltaires bastards : the dictatorship of reason in the west.. atm and it's very good. Can't say I agree with everything he's saying, but damned good read.

Whats Stephen Hawkings 'A brief history of time' like?

It's good, well worth a read. Not heavy at all, very readable.

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:

Thanks i'll give it a go. Picked up Jostein Gaarder's The Solitaire mystery today and in the middle of 'lucky' by Alice Seabold (pretty harrowing and depressing).

'lucky' by Alice Seabold (pretty harrowing and depressing).

Sounds like my kind of book. What's it about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

John2 wrote:
    i'd recommend brian greene's elegant universe first. i much prefered it to hawkings.

I haven't read that one. I guess everyone goes for Hawking's because it's one of those "must reads".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would recommend "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman or even better "Jonathon Norrell and Mr. Strange" by Susanna Clarke.

Have you read any John Connolly? His stuff is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold and I thought it was really good. Have you tried Donna Tartt books?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

"Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I have no doubt you'll love it.

thats his name, i can never eremember. the book rocks. esp if you visited barcelona :D

heehee, all i seem to have in my book collection are scifi and pop science. ooh and crime

id reccommend ian rankin and his inspector rebus novels!

John2 wrote:
    Sounds like my kind of book. What's it about?

Well its a biography about a girl of 18 who was raped after leaving a college party and of how she dealt with it and the search for her assailant. Was gripping if not depressing, finished it in a couple of hours.

6th wrote:
    "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I have no doubt you'll love it.

Yuo are right! I got it when it first came out, way better than Da Vinci Code, beautiful intriguing story had me hooked for hours. Any idea if the author has other books?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Murakami, Or Philip Dick,
    You could also try 100years in solitude/love in the time of cholera (both by Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

she's come undone by wally lamb

it might be more of a girly book though...
    still, a fantastic read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I recommend Lee Child's thriller Killing floor. It will hook on the series of ten or eleven so if your looking for something that will last you a while definately give it ago. See www.leechild.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭GoldieBear

Any books by PD James. The lighthouse is brilliant, i love det. Dalglish. Also for romance try Mary Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

yea! I love these threads, i always find some good reads out of them.
    Heres a few for ya,
    Ive just started reading Steinbeck, Grapes of Rath and Of mice And Men, both amazing. Have you read any Philip Roth? he rocks. Michael Chanbon's Amazing adventures of Caviler and Clay is also very very good. Neil gaiman, George RR Martin, Donna Tartt , the list goes on but these threads usually help me find some jems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭GoldieBear

Read Stein beck too, found him brilliant. Going to try Oliver Goldsmith after seeing 'she stoops to conquer' in Trinity last night. I'd recommend Sophies Choice and the Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (i'm a realy girly girl!).

Advertisement